Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:40 PM

120 posts, read 97,778 times

Advertisements

Hello,

me and my family are moving to Raleigh NC area in 2 months. We live in Minneapolis, MN at the moment. Reason for our move is long winters, we want to get away from long winters and spend more time outdoors. We are family of 5, we have 9 years old, 3 years old and 7 months old baby. My husband will be working for a company in Raleigh downtown.

I was wondering where we should live so we have short commute to work, good schools, low crime rate and family friendly. Those are the criterias that are important for us. For shopping and fun we can drive..We are planning to rent first for few months and then we would like to buy a house.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
What's your budget for rent and how big of a place do you need? Are you expecting something relatively new or are you comfortable with something older? How important is it for you to be close to things? What types of things do you like to do?

We bought an older house in North Hills, because we wanted to be closer to downtown and near shopping and grocery stores. We like it because we have a bigger lot, really great schools and can walk to the North Hills Shopping Center. Most people drive in Raleigh, but I like to be able to walk on occasion.

You just have to pick and choose what's important to you. Obviously, we could have spent less money on a bigger, newer home, but we're really happy with our neighborhood.

Last edited by farebluenc; 08-09-2017 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Also you may have a difficult time renting a home or townhouse for a few months, but apartments are pretty plentiful and some of them even have three bedrooms.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Our rent budget is up to 2500 a month. We prefer newer apartments buildings. Schools are the most important factor and short commute to work(downtown Raleigh). Besides work its not very important to be close to things. Park or green area close by is a nice thing to have.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:26 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
If your budget is 2500 and you prefer apartments you can live in a nice place here. I'd recommend Creekside at Crabtree, a brand new apartment complex right behind the Crabtree Valley Mall, but up on a hill with a buffer of trees so still relative quiet. Although I admit I know nothing of the school situation.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Just keep in mind that a short term rental will make the rent much higher. I'm not sure how long your planning to rent for, but hopefully you can rent somewhere near where you are interested in purchasing so that your kids can hopefully stay in the same school.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:40 PM

We might rent for up to 1 year until we decide where we want to buy and find a house we like. Is 1 year considered a short term? Sorry about the silly question but we havent rent in ages and I am not familiar with all that renting process. Also I was wondering if you sign a lease and break the lease wnat would be the penalty fee?

Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
2500 is a good rental budget. What would your purchase budget be, and what age, size, lot size of home do you think you'll want?

How do you define "good schools" and "Low crime"? 95-99% of the geography of Raleigh/Wake County would qualify for low-crime as I'd define it.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdreamer View Post
We might rent for up to 1 year until we decide where we want to buy and find a house we like. Is 1 year considered a short term? Sorry about the silly question but we havent rent in ages and I am not familiar with all that renting process. Also I was wondering if you sign a lease and break the lease wnat would be the penalty fee?
A year should be fine. Your original post said a couple of months, so I wasn't sure you were planning to purchase in the spring when the home inventory is high. The penalty for breaking the lease at my last apartment was two months rent. Better than paying out the whole lease. I'm sure it varies by apartment building.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM

The purchase budget would be 500 k, lot size could be small, 4 bedrooms, we dont care about big yard, no free time for gardening and etc.., it could be even townhome or apartment, we like newer houses. Only our oldest goes to school, she is in a gifted program and we would like to have good school for her. So by good school I mean school that has good rating and that its challenging, school where she will not be bored.
So which raleigh neighbourhoods and surrounding suburbs with short commute to downtown
we should consider for rent and house purchase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary