Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 02:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

No, but I saw an acquaintance at the grocery store last night who said she'd been sick all day. Yikes.

Also, last time norovirus was rampant at UNC, the spouse brought it home to the whole fam. Good times, good times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 PM

360 posts, read 400,037 times
Not sure how effective are the flu shots this year. We all got the flu even after getting the shots.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:09 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
Not sure how effective are the flu shots this year. We all got the flu even after getting the shots.
About 30% effective in prevention.
But, also very effective at reducing severity of the illness.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:44 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
About 30% effective in prevention.
But, also very effective at reducing severity of the illness.
I'll take the 30% too. It might be enough to keep me out of the hospital.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I'll take the 30% too. It might be enough to keep me out of the hospital.
Our pharmacy is two doors down from a Dr.'s office.
Pharmacist told me that the nurse came in and reported their waiting room was swamped with flu victims.
And, that they had seen ONLY ONE who had had the shot. And that patient's symptoms were so much less severe, the patient wasn't even sure they had the flu.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Our pharmacy is two doors down from a Dr.'s office.
Pharmacist told me that the nurse came in and reported their waiting room was swamped with flu victims.
And, that they had seen ONLY ONE who had had the shot. And that patient's symptoms were so much less severe, the patient wasn't even sure they had the flu.
Good to know. If I hadn't had the shot I'd be lining up to get one. I just don't understand why people won't get one. My mom is 90 and won't get the shot...drives us nuts!

Old 02-04-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Good to know. If I hadn't had the shot I'd be lining up to get one. I just don't understand why people won't get one. My mom is 90 and won't get the shot...drives us nuts!
Superstition is a powerful, powerful force, even in modern times.
The ignorance in this story is heartbreaking and a bit scary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/h...&nlid=31307225

"Ms. Rogers had been sick for five days. Because she used an inhaler, Dr. Greenberg offered her a prescription for Tamiflu, even though it normally is effective only within the first two days of infection.
Ms. Rogers’ head jerked back. “No, I heard it causes hallucinations,” she said. “I heard about a lady whose daughter got Tamiflu and tried to kill her.”

Dr. Greenberg tried to reassure her that the rare side effects were more likely to be nausea or diarrhea — and then asked if she got flu shots.
“I hear the shot gives you flu,” said Ms. Rogers. “I heard you can get Alzheimer’s from it — that there’s mercury in it, and it goes to your brain.”
Mr. Moyer interrupted to ask Dr. Greenberg what caused flu, and Ms. Rogers interjected: “I heard it’s a government plot for population control.”
Asked where she got such ideas — which contradict everything medical experts teach — she shook her head ruefully and appeared to smile behind her mask.
“I’m a hypochondriac,” she said. “Social media is the worst thing.”
Without directly contradicting her, Dr. Greenberg gently tried to change her mind about Tamiflu and the shot — to no avail."

Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
My husband went and got a flu shot. That's the equivalence of him expecting the apocalypse and tells me all I need to know about the severity of this year's flu.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:57 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
Knock on wood I never got a flu shot and never got sick in 40 years.

I winter months I take the following:

5000iu Vitamin D3
Oregano oil pills
Acerola extract powder form

This is not medical advice or anything this is just what works for me. I do get the flu shot for my children.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
5000 is a LOT of d3. Watch out for kidney stones. I had a friend get them after taking too much D. I take 2000iu on the advice of my doctor and I have low levels and am tested regularly. I do think it helps with preventing colds and flu. I rarely get either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary