Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:42 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Umm, real estate goes up in value. Cars go down. The key to making money is avoiding debt and using your income to invest in things that go up in value.

There's nothing necessary about car debt. In fact, its not even desirable.

And Americans money problems are hardly based on lack of debt, lol. Thats an insane statement.
But if you're going to buy the car anyway, take the long, cheap loan rather than pay cash, and let your money work for you during that time.

I did that a few years ago with a new car. Toyota was offering 60 months at 0%. Would have been a fool not to take it even though I had been planning to pay cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
The issue isn't a loan or paying cash it's how much you put into the purchase.

Who cares if the value goes down, you have to pay it anyway, I'd much rather pay 1.75% with zero down and invest the remainder over paying cash. Financing is smart; overpaying for things is not.

That being said if you happen to drive a lot and keep cars for 15 years a new Toyota makes a compelling argument over buying a used one unless you buy a really worn out one and do the work yourself.

Financially the best thing you can do is move closer to work as it's costing you roughly $0.50/mile in total costs (deprecation, mx, gas, TAXES insurance etc) to run a new car. On just a 30 mile commute you're talking $15/day in car expenses, that is $3700/yr in out of pocket costs, that is $5300 in pretax income. Two income family? Multiply by two over $10k/yr in pre-tax commuting costs!

Insane how it adds up!

Compare to my costs, 2000 miles a year on a fully depreciated car, average $360/yr in mx costs since ownership, $100/yr in taxes, $240/yr in insurance and $200 in gas.

On a side note I note that about 1:5 people in my neighborhood do not renew their vehicle registrations, and there are some nicer cars. If you can afford to buy BMW, Audi, Lexus etc but you can't afford to register it? So messed up and we all pay for it.

I test drove a Leaf and BMW i3, these electric cars are the future I tell you, wow they are nice to drive!!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:11 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I agree. But ......

You will never convince people who want a new car not to buy a new car.
I know people who buy and trade in every two or three years.
People are taking out 6 and 7, maybe 8 year loans.

If you're allowed to pay early, maybe in some instances it's good to have a non-steep monthly payment in case of job loss, etc.

I know the interest rate is higher, but a $300 per month payment is a lot easier to meet than a $500 payment during desperate times.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:05 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Why? If you can get a loan for <2-3%, that is like stealing money. You want to get a loan for as long as possible. Americans have it all wrong, they are so worried about debt. The key to making money in this life is actually to use debt/leverage as much as possible, ie, get as much $ loaned to you by others as you can so you can invest and make more. That is the whole key to real estate investing. Now obviously a car is not good debt, like that of a real estate mortgage, but it is a necessary debt nonetheless.
You forgot the one thing about cars. They lose value! Cars are not an investment unless it's a very rare circumstance.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I agree. But ......

You will never convince people who want a new car not to buy a new car.
I know people who buy and trade in every two or three years.
I like to trade when the new wears off my Tahoe...every 3 or 4 years. Some people like to throw their money away on food, drinks, guns, travel or drugs. I like throwing mine away on a new Chevy.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:52 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
I have always negotiated my own vehicle prices. I tried costco but they didnt get anywhere near the final price I negotiated.

Settle on a car but remain a little flexible. You essentially want dealerships to compete for your business and will have to pit them against each other and be willing to go back and forth. If you don't like doing that face to face try emailing them - eventually you will reach a price that is their minimum operating price

Old 09-17-2017, 04:40 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Using a car buying service is literally paying an additional party for the convenience. Nothing wrong with it, but you aren't saving any money.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:57 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Dealers have to pay TrueCar a fee for getting a sales lead; ditto for Costco.
It gets added to price you pay!

Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Using a car buying service is literally paying an additional party for the convenience. Nothing wrong with it, but you aren't saving any money.
Maybe I could have done just as good at a dealer on price, but at least I didn't have to waste a half a day putting up with a bunch of BS at a dealership.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:21 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Maybe I could have done just as good at a dealer on price, but at least I didn't have to waste a half a day putting up with a bunch of BS at a dealership.
You would do better on price most certainly. But the battle is half the fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary