Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Really sounds like you would like Chapel Hill and Carrboro, maybe Hillsborough if you're close enough to I-40. If the "blue" thing is really important to you Chapel Hill and Carrboro are much bluer. Durham is very blue, too. Wake County leans blue but is more purplish. Holly Springs went for Trump.

This is a map of Wake County precincts presidential election results:
NC SBE Election Contest Details

The blue part is mostly Raleigh/Cary/Morrisville, although there are red precincts there too. That one little blue precinct in the lower left is precinct 20-06A, which is in Apex. Holly Springs is in the red below that.

This is Orange County: NC SBE Election Contest Details

That blue in the lower right is all Carrboro and Chapel Hill. The three blue precincts in the middle square above it are Hillsborough as is the red one.

Just throwing it out there if the politics are really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:48 PM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Really sounds like you would like Chapel Hill and Carrboro, maybe Hillsborough if you're close enough to I-40. If the "blue" thing is really important to you Chapel Hill and Carrboro are much bluer. Durham is very blue, too. Wake County leans blue but is more purplish. Holly Springs went for Trump.

This is a map of Wake County precincts presidential election results:
NC SBE Election Contest Details

The blue part is mostly Raleigh/Cary/Morrisville, although there are red precincts there too. That one little blue precinct in the lower left is precinct 20-06A, which is in Apex. Holly Springs is in the red below that.

This is Orange County: NC SBE Election Contest Details

That blue in the lower right is all Carrboro and Chapel Hill. The three blue precincts in the middle square above it are Hillsborough as is the red one.

Just throwing it out there if the politics are really important.
Truth. Neighbor "friends" of ours moved from Apex to Holly Springs because they thought Apex was getting too diverse. They are die-hard conservatives and felt more comfortable in Holly Springs... thought we were absolutely crazy for moving to where we did in Cary (NE quadrant near Harrison and Maynard). The area around us is very diverse and pretty liberal. Just check out this Wake county neighborhood voting map https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...maps.html?_r=0

We are 15 minutes to RTP HQ, have great schools (awesome national news clip featuring Cary Elementary after the election https://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/805201475978 ), have an inventory of older homes with larger lots and mature trees, and are near a cute "old-timey" small town downtown with a soda fountain (Ashworths Drugs). Just Google Image downtown Cary. Laid back free spirit vibe with few HOAs and not much keeping up with the Jones'. Again, great schools (Go Imps!), yet not overly competitive.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM

17 posts, read 37,399 times
OK, that looks really interesting and helpful. I dont want to get political on here at all, but I do hope to find a blue area.

I am not sure how to read the map, but your information is great. Is there a link somewhere to what city each precinct number reflects? I could use this to consider the areas more closely.

Sounds like Apex/Cary are mostly blue, but once you get rural as Holly Springs, you get into red?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
http://www.wakegov.com/gis/services/...incts_Cary.pdf might help some. Note that precincts 04-09 and 05-03 in Cary went for Trump, so no not at all that all of Cary and all of Apex are blue. I believe 05-03 includes Prestonwood that somebody up thread mentioned.

All of Chapel Hill (though not all of Orange County) is definitely blue. You can't get bluer than Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Durham in NC.

I would say Chapel Hill's vibe is less "keeping up with the Joneses" than Cary's, but I'm sure it depends on the particular neighborhood. Try that google image search that ncrunner suggested. I find that's a good way to get a feel for a place.

Downtown Cary: https://www.google.com/search?client...HcReBPQQhyYIJg

Chapel Hill: https://www.google.com/search?client....0.rOJr-qE7d14

Carrboro: https://www.google.com/search?client....0.UeJMjN4zKc4

You will probably get more responses on this thread pointing you to Wake County because there are many more City-Data members in Wake County than in Chapel Hill. It's just that more people live there. From what you are describing, though, I really feel like Chapel Hill/Carrboro or maybe Hillsborough is what you're looking for.

The NYTimes did a nice 36 hours piece on Chapel Hill and Carrboro a couple of years ago that gives a good overview. Check the video:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/t...boro.html?_r=0

Durham is worth a look, too. It's more urban than Chapel Hill and Carrboro and the schools are a little more mixed. Real estate is often cheaper, though, and it's got a great creative vibe.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM

Wow Poppydog. Thank you so much!! Your insight is very useful and exactly what I am looking for (and struggle to find by myself). I handy appreciated those differences before. really good to know.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdl123 View Post
OK, that looks really interesting and helpful. I dont want to get political on here at all, but I do hope to find a blue area.

I am not sure how to read the map, but your information is great. Is there a link somewhere to what city each precinct number reflects? I could use this to consider the areas more closely.

Sounds like Apex/Cary are mostly blue, but once you get rural as Holly Springs, you get into red?
I'm just curious what your definition of red is? Do you not want to live around conservatives, or do you have the classic stereotypical view of the south? If the latter, I suggest you spend some more time here before you making a decision.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM

Hmmm. Interesting question. I dont really have any idea of what the south will be like. I dont think questions about red/blue are at all related to the south specifically. Just looking for a place where I can find other liberals as part of an assessment for how we will fit in. I dont mind alternative views, of course, but if it is heavily red, I would consider that important information.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:56 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting question. I dont really have any idea of what the south will be like. I dont think questions about red/blue are at all related to the south specifically. Just looking for a place where I can find other liberals as part of an assessment for how we will fit in. I dont mind alternative views, of course, but if it is heavily red, I would consider that important information.
The Triangle is a mix of blue and red, just like other populated areas of the country. I don't think it's something you really need to worry about.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
You might take a closer look at the southern part of Durham - less unpretentious and you might be able to find a little bit larger lot. Also, the area is very diverse and pretty "blue."

Old 09-22-2017, 05:59 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Quote:

DJKB: Great to hear you live in Holly Springs. I am looking at that and curious if you find enough activities for the kids there? I see lots listed for Cary/Apex, but is there enough for the kids to have options in your town too? I like the idea of a small town, especially if the commute is not bad. Are folks "liberal" in that area? Is the commute ok most times or do you avoid 9-5 as others say is needed?

Thank you!
Sorry for the delay! I was off celebrating Rosh Hashanah yesterday - so I am part of the diverse population of Holly Springs. I do find there's a lot for the kids here. My son plays soccer for Wake FC and most of his practices are here. Parks & Rec have a ton of programs. We have a couple of great parks - there's a farmers market.
I find people fairly liberal - there are lots of transplants from the NE (MA, NY, NJ).
I do try to avoid the 9-5...I leave for work at 7am and leave to come home at 4:30pm but I hop on Route 1 / 440 which notoriously backs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary