Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 06:58 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious as to why there are regions referred to as "Triangle" and "Triad" that are adjacent to each other. For natives, this may not be an issue, but for outsiders i'm sure that it leads to a lot of confusion.

I assume that the Triangle was named first and the Triad followed, but can anyone confirm the history behind the names?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Both have 3 primary cities, thus the monikers. When the idea for a research park in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area was first proposed in the 1950's, it was dubbed "Research Triangle Park", playing off the 3 major universities in the area. I suspect the name Triad came into use afterwards as a way to brand the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point area, given the success of the "Triangle" name. But, the "trI" concept existed in both areas for a long time. For example, the current Piedmont Triad International Airport was set up originally by the "Tri-cities Airport Commission" in the 1920's.

Triangle and Triad are shorthand versions of Research Triangle and Piedmont Triad, which are the "official" names of the regions.

Last edited by BC1960; 09-27-2017 at 07:39 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 05:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Technically, the Triangle's name is associated with the three universities, not the cities themselves.
While understanding the exact origin of the Triangle's naming history, I can't find anything concrete on the web that pinpoints the exact origin and timing of the Triad.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Technically, the Triangle's name is associated with the three universities, not the cities themselves.
While understanding the exact origin of the Triangle's naming history, I can't find anything concrete on the web that pinpoints the exact origin and timing of the Triad.
It just seems like the name Triad was created for that region as a reaction to the growing success of the Triangle. Maybe it was an intentional attempt by that area to confuse people into thinking that they were some sort of an equivalent to the Triangle? It just doesn't seem logical to come up with a term for your region that is very similar to the name of a neighboring region. In business that would be grounds for a trademark infringement lawsuit.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
It just seems like the name Triad was created for that region as a reaction to the growing success of the Triangle. Maybe it was an intentional attempt by that area to confuse people into thinking that they were some sort of an equivalent to the Triangle? It just doesn't seem logical to come up with a term for your region that is very similar to the name of a neighboring region. In business that would be grounds for a trademark infringement lawsuit.
No.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
No.
Then why refer to yourself as the "Triad?" Why not just Piedmont or Central region, or some other moniker that distinguishes that area?

I question this because i've seen many attempts over the years by people in that area to compare themselves to the Triangle and it's cities, so it's only reasonable that one would think that the name Triad evolved from that same sense of competitiveness.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
It's just a common thing to do for a region where there are multiple cities. There are the Tri-cities in TN/VA (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City), the Twin Cities for Minneapolis/St Paul, etc. Wikipedia has a whole long list of Tri-Cities, Triple Cities, Triangle, Triad, Golden Triangle, etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities

Old 09-28-2017, 12:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's just a common thing to do for a region where there are multiple cities. There are the Tri-cities in TN/VA (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City), the Twin Cities for Minneapolis/St Paul, etc. Wikipedia has a whole long list of Tri-Cities, Triple Cities, Triangle, Triad, Golden Triangle, etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities
Are you snubbing Quad City Djs?

Old 09-28-2017, 03:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Where are the Quad Cities? I have a gap in my knowledge!

Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM

346 posts, read 338,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Then why refer to yourself as the "Triad?" Why not just Piedmont or Central region, or some other moniker that distinguishes that area?

I question this because i've seen many attempts over the years by people in that area to compare themselves to the Triangle and it's cities, so it's only reasonable that one would think that the name Triad evolved from that same sense of competitiveness.
If I remember right, up until a few decades ago Greensboro and Winston-Salem were bigger (population) than Raleigh and Durham respectively. I doubt it was a copy cat effect thing. Not sure of the origin of the term Triad, but it could pre date the Triangle naming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary