Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Of course, all good things must come to an end, in 5 billion years the Sun will start to expand and become a red giant and in 7.5 billion years from now the surface of the Sun will be past where Earth's orbit is now, so better start prepin'!
that is if we all don't die from a nuclear winter first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,945,973 times
I don't want Raleigh to get Amazon, because after all of the hype, it most likely won't live up to expectations, and...

The Triangle's uniquely different take on what an American metro area looks and feels like, doesn't need big, sudden change

coming in and jeopardizing the qualities that keep 95% of natives and 90% of transplants content to stay.

Many companies have moved their headquarters to Atlanta recently, and I think it's due to the trees and suburban aesthetic

which initially seems so appealing.

These companies, including possibly Amazon, don't yet realize how primitive Georgia functions as a state, or how corrupt and downright lazy the City of Atlanta maintains everything.

MARTA rail and walking are the only viable means of transportation for new arrivals here.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:37 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I actually agree with CapitalBlvd about something. The world is ending.
Thanks.

The truth is starting to get through. Amazon can pay their own way instead of screwing up our area,

Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 AM

495 posts, read 1,078,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I agree...I'm really praying we don't get HQ2. Unlikely we will, but if we do...I'm out!
Enjoy the massive bump in real estate values as you sell your place!

The reality of 21st century America is that you have wealth and success concentrating in a small number of metro areas, and if you’re not one of those, you’re going to suffer and decline as a city fairly precipitously. There’s no such thing as places having the best of both worlds anymore. I’d rather have an economic linchpin like Amazon than be left in the dust.

It’s already the case when talking to folks in Silicon Valley versus everywhere else, that everywhere else folks seem a step or two behind the times in terms of being on top of what drives the modern economy and having impactful, disruptive careers on the cutting edge of foresight and leadership. That’s only going to get worse if we become even more a convenient place to outsource low- or mid-tier engineering work on the cheap and nothing more.

Last edited by blueheronNC; 03-11-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 PM

806 posts, read 605,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Thanks.

The truth is starting to get through. Amazon can pay their own way instead of screwing up our area,
Amazon doesn't even need subsidies is the irony. They are literally on the verge of being the most highly valued company in the world. Their growth is still in the earliest stages.

What's also ironic is if they choose DC they will probably drive more people to flee here anyway.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:57 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Amazon doesn't even need subsidies is the irony. They are literally on the verge of being the most highly valued company in the world. Their growth is still in the earliest stages.

What's also ironic is if they choose DC they will probably drive more people to flee here anyway.
I don't feel Amazon will take over retailing.

Their prices are not always the best any more.

The other retailers like Walmart are besting Amazon in many ways.

Amazon may start to burn out.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:25 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:

Amazon doesn't need to sell stuff to have incredible impact on retail. They are hugely diversified, with multiple revenue streams and no compunction about crushing businesses with ruinous competition.
Their business ethic is why I don't prefer we get HQ2.

"Description:
Amazon.com, Inc. engages in the retail sale of consumer products and subscriptions in North America and internationally. The company operates through three segments: North America, International, and Amazon Web Services (AWS) segments.

It sells merchandise and content purchased for resale from vendors, as well as those offered by third-party sellers through physical stores and retail Websites, such as amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.com.mx, amazon.com.au, amazon.com.br, amazon.cn, amazon.fr, amazon.de, amazon.in, amazon.it, amazon.co.jp, amazon.nl, amazon.es, and amazon.co.uk.
The company also manufactures and sells electronic devices, including kindle e-readers, fire tablets, fire TVs, and echo devices; and provides Kindle Direct Publishing, an online service that allows independent authors and publishers to make their books available in the Kindle Store.

In addition, it offers programs that enable sellers to sell their products on its Websites, as well as their own branded Websites; and programs that allow authors, musicians, filmmakers, app developers, and others to publish and sell content.

Further, the company provides compute, storage, database, and other AWS services, as well as fulfillment, publishing, digital content subscriptions, advertising, and co-branded credit card agreement services.

Additionally, it offers Amazon Prime, a membership program, which provides free shipping of various items; access to unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes; and other services. It serves consumers, sellers, developers, enterprises, and content creators. The company was founded in 1994 and is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
"
From Yahoo!
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMZN/profile?p=AMZN

Along with other FANG companies, I use Amazon as little as possible, not having joined with those who support the abject mercenary corporatization of all avenues of life.
I do have a weakness for Facebook, unfortunately.
From the Street link:
"Amazon has demonstrated that its business model, which is to continuously expand into new areas for the sake of short-term profits, is paying off."

And, I don't like local governments using AWS.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Their business ethic is why I don't prefer we get HQ2.
Too late to edit. After another coffee....
Should have said it is "one of the reasons."
The impact on the Triangle, IF they ever get to 50,000 jobs is another reason.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:02 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post

This.

If they do choose DC, we are likely to get people who leave there for here.

So, the population here will increase if Amazon moves here or moves near, either way.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 PM

806 posts, read 605,846 times
Quote:

Well they are already taking over retailing, did you see what just happened to Walmart recently when they just talked about earnings? Amazon makes more money as a cloud company than they do off retailing anyway. When you add what they are probably going to do on the software side with grocery stores which is most likely to sell other chains their back end technology and also whatever their plans are for making healthcare more affordable there is alot of growth ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary