Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,500 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I are interested in Cary and would like to persue our learning. One thing I woud really like to know is how the humidity is in the summer months. We moved from L.A. to Kansas and the past 2 summers have darned-near killed me...humidity wise! I know the south is humid, but can someone tell me if it is as bad as Southeast Kansas? Is there an area that would be considered less humid than Cary?
Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,195,151 times
Arizona would be less humid than Cary.

Seriously, the summers here are very humid.
see Moderator cut: url removed
Looks like Raleigh's summers are more humid than Wichita's (does that count as SE Kansas?)

Last edited by autumngal; 02-21-2008 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: to comply with TOS

Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Trish, I moved here from NE Oklahoma so maybe I can help you. Frankly, I think the summers in the Triangle feel just as humid as the summers in that part of the country. It may even be slightly more humid here. We've been going through a record-breaking drought so it's been drier than usual. I agree that the humidity is hard if you're not used to it. Luckily, most buildings here have air conditioning so it's easy to escape the heat.

I'm sure there's a weather website out there that can compare the numbers if you're interested.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 AM

7,149 posts, read 4,745,406 times
Unfortunately, the humidity is terrible here most summers. Last summer didn't seem to be as bad. Being from the North originally, I can't stand the summer humidity here. I know it's worse in the deep South because I've lived there also.

How people enjoy living in the tropics is beyond me!

If you don't like humidity, you won't like the summers here. But the winters can make up for that if you don't like snow and cold.

happy searching,
toodie

Old 02-21-2008, 12:01 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,876 times
I thought Oklahoma and Kansas were dry!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I thought Oklahoma and Kansas were dry!
Depends on the part of the state you're in. The northeast corner of Oklahoma is known as "Green Country". When you travel further west towards the mountains, things get decidedly flatter & there aren't as many trees. Go south towards Texas & things get a bit drier. Remember - these are big states we're talking about &, just like NC, there's a variety of terrain to be found.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Unfortunately, the humidity is terrible here most summers. Last summer didn't seem to be as bad. Being from the North originally, I can't stand the summer humidity here. I know it's worse in the deep South because I've lived there also.

How people enjoy living in the tropics is beyond me!

If you don't like humidity, you won't like the summers here. But the winters can make up for that if you don't like snow and cold.

happy searching,
toodie
Althougth I only spent a little more than half of last summer in NC...I thought it was one of the hottest. I believe there was only ONE day in Augusgt where the high temp was BELOW 90 degrees ( it was 86) and somewhere between 5 and 10 that were OVER 100.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,295,400 times
The one thing I noticed last summer and last year in general, was it wasn't as buggy (mosquitoes) as it usually is. Seems like the only time we'd get a break from them is in the winter. I can remember swatting them even in November some years. The summer's here get to feel sooo long with the constant humidity nearly matching or exceeding the temperature.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
I once lived in KC,KS coming there also from Los Angeles. KC was much more humid than LA but much less than Raleigh.

Now 2007 was a beastly summer here. Temps in August went over 100 frequently with high humidity. Normally not that bad.

When we lived in New Orleans, torrential rain would fall almost every day around noon and bake back up in minutes as steam. Not that bad here but, as I said, 2007 was the worst I've seen here in 20 years.

If humidity is a big issue with you, the South may not be your cup of tea.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:24 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,810 times
The humidity here stinks, probably worse than Kansas. This area is a great place to pursue your education though !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary