Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Oh please, poor people don't build McMansions. One of the slides even says "Walking in the grass to get to the front door isn't something I thought rich folks had to do on a regular basis". Similar remarks pop up on other parts of her blog. Its all about making fun of people with more money than the blogger, and her attempt to make herself feel better about that by displaying her "superior" knowledge of design.
She even says in that blog about Wake (maybe it's in the comments) that she's FROM NORTH CAROLINA, but grew up poor, (near Pinehurst) and she admits that this is her taking a dig at stuff she couldn't afford.

So, there is that.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I took clients through a house with a black urinal busting out of the wall in a weird location in a secondary bath.

Yup. We laughed. We did, indeed.

What we DID NOT do was ridicule it and the owners with stolen photos and snark on the internet to cast about for donations.
LOL! Well, I mean... it's a black urinal in a strange place. Who isn't going to act surprised about that?

I remember touring a place that had someone crashing in it like it was a flophouse for wayward runaways.

And it smelled like burning rubber.

Which was bizarre, and worthy of comment, but I would never blog about it.

That house is gone now, anyway.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Well, then when SHOULD houses be criticized?

Maybe her tone is unappealing to many, but are residential homes just completely exempt from criticism? Because I think it's MUCH more inappropriate to criticize them when they are not for sale.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 887,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Maybe her tone is unappealing to many, but are residential homes just completely exempt from criticism? Because I think it's MUCH more inappropriate to criticize them when they are not for sale!
Why do people have to criticize at all? It’s fine to not like something. Having a critical spirit and tongue is another matter.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:45 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:

Maybe her tone is unappealing to many, but are residential homes just completely exempt from criticism? Because I think it's MUCH more inappropriate to criticize them when they are not for sale.
How about privately, without intent to shame or humiliate, without snark, without flaming self righteousness, without engaging in class warfare? That would be a good starting place, imo.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
... I think you may have intended to say, "By whom?" ...
I strive for correct spelling, punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure. Anyone who corrects my work is my friend. Thank you!

Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 PM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:

You're conflating houses for sale with basically any other retail item. The difference is that actual people own the houses they're trying to sell, and many/most have some level of emotional attachment to that home - which very often reflects their likes and tastes. In my mind, that makes it a whole lot different than the retail and restaurant analogies you proposed.

The MH blog author may appear like she's poking fun at the architects who create these homes. But in reality, she's mocking the people who purchase them. Hence why she's chosen McMansions as her subject matter, and not commercial buildings or strip malls.

Like I pointed out much earlier in this thread, MH is more akin to the old Glamour magazine Don'ts - where they would show photos of actual people (women) in public wearing attire that did not meet some kind of fashion sense of the reviewer. As I recall, the women's faces/eyes were blacked out to spare them from being identified, I guess. Much like the folks who own the homes in MH, I'd think those women probably had felt pretty good about themselves when they left the house that morning and that their choices were sound.

The truth is that tastes are indeed individual. We can all internally cringe at what others might buy or build or wear, but as long as their choices don't affect us, then what's the harm? Why take the effort to mock it very publicly, whether it be in a fashion magazine or a digital blog?

Last edited by Thr3stripe; 10-30-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 01:04 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
I think there is a proper way to illustrate design/architectural flaws versus publicly embarrassing/shaming individuals especially when they are trying to sell their home. Some of these people might even be going through some unfortunate events in their life where they need to sell and then to see something like this posted for the world to see.....shameful on her part.

Personally I think she is just envious of what others have and making jabs at them makes her feel better in a weird, twisted way. Otherwise she would have provided a picture of her own home (parents' home) and explained what was wrong with it architecturally if she just wanted to teach people about architecture and design. Why isn't she making fun of her own parents' home??

And last but not least have any of us ever found the perfect house (both inside and outside)? I sure haven't.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
How about privately, without intent to shame or humiliate, without snark, without flaming self righteousness, without engaging in class warfare? That would be a good starting place, imo.
I agree. I even think criticizing interior design is less offensive. If the people who see it have never even been inside your house, they don't know if it's your house or not.

I mean, it's not hard for a person to see it and decide it's worthy of consideration or blow it off and think the critic is an idiot. A good many interior tweaks are really cheap fixes.

But, publicly shaming people for the exterior of their home while they're trying to sell it is really low.

It's not like they can see her blog and go outside, rip down a few rooflines, change out the windows, get it in line with "proper form" and move along.

This isn't feasible for most people unless they're dealing with a fixer upper. Most of these are not fixer uppers.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I think there is a proper way to illustrate design/architectural flaws versus publicly embarrassing/shaming individuals especially when they are trying to sell their home. Some of these people might even be going through some unfortunate events in their life where they need to sell and then to see something like this posted for the world to see.....shameful on her part.

Personally I think she is just envious of what others have and making jabs at them makes her feel better in a weird, twisted way. Otherwise she would have provided a picture of her own home (parents' home) and explained what was wrong with it architecturally if she just wanted to teach people about architecture and design. Why isn't she making fun of her own parents' home??

And last but not least have any of us ever found the perfect house (both inside and outside)? I sure haven't.
That last part... NO. And, believe me, house shopping with a perfectionist has highlighted this for me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary