Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

If I was on a multi-hour drive and left my phone GPS on all the time, I would likely throw my phone out the window in about 45 minutes.
Most of them have an option to mute the directions and only provide alerts (traffic jams ahead, faster route options, etc).
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 02:00 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Easy comrade. If you have a car that can safely get you from Raleigh to Syracuse you can afford a GPS. Even so, if you're really bad with directions, maps are cheap (and free from AAA, although I suppose having money to join AAA is also elitist).
Comrade?

It is just that I have met people who do not drive many places who would not buy a GPS for a single trip. The stand alone GPS are difficult to update, not all cars are built with a navigation system, and not everyone has an iphone or equivalent. I know it is difficult to avoid reflecting our own selves onto the general public, but here is a good example where you and I may have different priorities from each other, and from a host of other writers on C-D.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Comrade?

It is just that I have met people who do not drive many places who would not buy a GPS for a single trip. The stand alone GPS are difficult to update, not all cars are built with a navigation system, and not everyone has an iphone or equivalent. I know it is difficult to avoid reflecting our own selves onto the general public, but here is a good example where you and I may have different priorities from each other, and from a host of other writers on C-D.
Every smartphone is a GPS and close to 80% of the population has a smartphone. There's nothing elitist about assuming the OP is part of that 80%, especially given that she's on an internet forum.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:22 PM

527 posts, read 686,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Why? Usually it'll say, "Continue straight for 450 miles" and then shut up for the next few hours haha
And I shut if off if I have to be on 95 for like 180 miles, but it's good for unfamiliar city driving or traffic jams.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Comrade?

Who buys standalone GPS anymore?

Old 11-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Every smartphone is a GPS and close to 80% of the population has a smartphone. There's nothing elitist about assuming the OP is part of that 80%, especially given that she's on an internet forum.
And especially given that she said she has GPS. She just chose not to use it.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:20 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlbit View Post
When I asked for help at a rest stop after I had been driving for awhile, the person I spoke to told me that if I kept heading straight on 64 West, I would run into 540. After another hour on the road, I stopped and asked a construction crew and one of the guys told me that if I kept on 64 West in the direction I was going, I was heading towards West Virginia. (More conflicting information) He gave me directions back to 220 that would take me to 81 South and get me back home. I used the GPS from there and admittedly, should have used it after I asked for help the first time. But from where he was that was 3 1/2 hours back from where I had just gone. I was in the car for 12 hours.
Marianne
Now ya know why men don't ask for directions!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
Quote:
Comrade?

I had navigation on my Motorola Razr flip phone in 2006. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary