Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times

Advertisements

I should have known this was coming now that I finally purchased a rain barrel!

Falls Lake is currently 74% full. With the rain we are expecting tomorrow and later next week I imagine we may get to 90% by early april!

I'm still happy I have the rain barrel, even if they start allowing hand watering again.

"The City Council voted Tuesday to end Stage 2 water restrictions once Falls Lake reaches 90 percent of its normal level and to allow limited outdoor watering if the lake reaches its capacity."

Raleigh Sets Conditions for Easing Water Rules :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,640 times
While I think its good that they are considering easing some restrictions, imo we should remain at stage 2 for at LEAST a year!

keep those rain barrels out!

the whole garbage disposal thing was over the top, in my book...

Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Mommiewrites, the garbage disposal decision doesn't have anything to do with water restrictions. It was about food and grease blockages in the sewer lines. So that's a whole other subject.

Congrats to Raleigh water customers! Here's hoping that Durham will chose to loosen its watering rules when the council meets on Thursday.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,756 times
let it rain, let it rain, let it Rain...hehe...I do hope that conservation is still important to everyone...I hope that if restrictions are eased, it's not a green light for people to go back to wasting water or continuing to waste water.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM

123 posts, read 611,757 times
wow maybe I can attempt to grow a lawn this year

Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 PM

282 posts, read 835,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
While I think its good that they are considering easing some restrictions, imo we should remain at stage 2 for at LEAST a year!

keep those rain barrels out!

the whole garbage disposal thing was over the top, in my book...
Sorry to say - that's still going ahead. It doesn't sound like they have any intention of backing away on that one.

I also agree that easing Stage 2 is very premature, especially since they keep predicting a dry summer.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 13,478 times
I haven't heard or read anything about them letting us water.. but it sure would be nice if we had enough capacity to allow 1 day a week irrigation or something...

What they should do is tell CocaCola or Pepsi or whoever it is thats sucking millions of gallons per day out of our lake to buy water from somewhere else so we can enjoy our water like we used to.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,059 times
Quote:
I also agree that easing Stage 2 is very premature, especially since they keep predicting a dry summer.
Exactly! Anyone who thinks the restrictions should be lifted is a fool! Yes, the lake is close to being full. But we are still in an EXTREME DROUGHT!!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Exactly! Anyone who thinks the restrictions should be lifted is a fool! Yes, the lake is close to being full. But we are still in an EXTREME DROUGHT!!
Why? If the reservoirs are all at capacity then the fact that the rainfall looking back for 18 months has been below normal shouldn't be that big of an issue. If anything, if its been exceptionally dry in the past, then it is likely to rain more in the future... thats how averages end up averages.

I can see it now... we'll have areas that are experiencing flooding, but technically the area is still in an "extreme drought" because of the lower than normal rainfall in the past, and so there will still be people arguing for keeping Stage 2 restrictions.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 58,457 times
Default You've got to be (expletive deleted) me!

You know the old saying: "Where there is no vision, the people perish."

If Raleigh officials are already easing restrictions, then they are far more visionless than I gave them credit for.

The lake levels are much lower than they were a year ago at this time, and those year-ago level were well on their way to depletion by early Autumn.

Do these fools really think the draught is over, or that we won't be running on empty by the end of this next (very dry, hot) Summer?

*Sigh*... I think there's a Dylan line about how man manages his destruction with great skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary