Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 4,863 times

Advertisements

My husband and I along with our kids may be moving to the Cary/Apex area in a few months and will be looking to rent a townhome or house. Our credit isn’t great (husband in the low 600’s, mine in the high 500’s) although we are trying to pay off some things that are keeping our scores down. We have excellent rental history though and I’m wondering how difficult of a time we may have trying to rent a place. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 PM

527 posts, read 687,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmthoma View Post
My husband and I along with our kids may be moving to the Cary/Apex area in a few months and will be looking to rent a townhome or house. Our credit isn’t great (husband in the low 600’s, mine in the high 500’s) although we are trying to pay off some things that are keeping our scores down. We have excellent rental history though and I’m wondering how difficult of a time we may have trying to rent a place. Thanks!
This could be tricky for you. While you're paying down debt and improving things, I would definitely suggest looking at a private owner, not at a corporate complex, as that will definitely factor in and you'd probably need to pay a HUGE deposit. Good luck! Debt can be a total nightmare, so good for you for paying it down!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 4,863 times
How do you find private owner options? We've been keeping an eye on Zillow and from what I can tell it looks like the landlords all work for rental companies or real estate agencies.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
How do you find private owner options? We've been keeping an eye on Zillow and from what I can tell it looks like the landlords all work for rental companies or real estate agencies.
Craigslist. Just use common sense.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
Private owner is definitely the way to go. Be up front about your credit scores because the last thing you want is a bunch of inquiries on your report that will drive it down further.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,617 times
We only applied to one apartment complex but were surprised by how much paperwork and financial information they asked for. But at the same time, the security deposit was a fraction of what I was used to where we used to live.

I think you might have more luck like others have said with private owners, but maybe be prepared to pay more of a security.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,973 times
Quote:
Craigslist, Realtor, Zillow... they all do rental listings.

In the case of where I live now, the real estate agency just manages the property up until contracts are signed and keys are handed over. The landlord himself doesn't work for them at all. I suspect that's the most common scenario around here.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 AM

70 posts, read 59,724 times
Just be direct when looking at apartments. "What are your credit requirements?"

The agents usually know exactly what scores are needed, or what the terms would be if you have bad credit, such as additional deposits.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
But at the same time, the security deposit was a fraction of what I was used to where we used to live.
I noticed that same thing when I moved here. The security deposit for the complex I live in was only $100. I thought it was a typo at first. The building is fantastic but a security deposit for something like this up in NY would be one month's rent.

Last edited by RedZin; 01-16-2018 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Ack. Edited wrong post. All fixed.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
To the OP's title, I don't think a landlord is picky if they want a tenant with good credit. I agree that a good many complexes here have a ton of red tape just to rent an apartment, but I guess they've been burned before.

I suspect that one's credit score could be lower, but with a year or more of on-time payments, an income that meets their standards, and good landlord refs, I would imagine a person would still qualify, even if he/she needed to provide a larger deposit or the like.

So, it's not the actual score so much as what is on the report.

Have a great score, a low income, and no rental refs and you'll still need a cosigner.

You could try walking in with a copy of your report and explaining your situation before you apply. Maybe try some places that are waiving app fees... see what happens. I doubt many are interested in trying to get you to apply only to be rejected and take a ding on your credit, but I also know that if you apply to several places in a short time period, it works much like shopping mortgages and buying cars. The whole event is the ding, not each pull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary