Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 08:00 PM

11 posts, read 12,634 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 30s and single (tail end of Gen X I guess). I was looking at a job prospect in the Triangle area, and I remember reading about the Research Triangle about 15 years ago in grad school, and how it was becoming a hub for young, white collar, well educated professionals. Wasn't sure if this vision of Raleigh ever really panned out or not. I know the media can sometimes assume that a community is moving in a certain direction, only to find that the folks in the community have other ideas.

All of that said, I live in Richmond now, and so I imagine Raleigh would be kind of similar, as a Southern college town that's also a state capital, with employers that are attractive to young professionals? If so, that's probably okay with me, though I did want to see what others thought about being a late 30s and soon to be early 40s single guy in Raleigh? I don't know if the pickings will be slim, compared to, say, Northern Virginia, where you can find a solid social scene at any age I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM

644 posts, read 843,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburke859 View Post
I'm in my late 30s and single (tail end of Gen X I guess). I was looking at a job prospect in the Triangle area, and I remember reading about the Research Triangle about 15 years ago in grad school, and how it was becoming a hub for young, white collar, well educated professionals. Wasn't sure if this vision of Raleigh ever really panned out or not. I know the media can sometimes assume that a community is moving in a certain direction, only to find that the folks in the community have other ideas.

All of that said, I live in Richmond now, and so I imagine Raleigh would be kind of similar, as a Southern college town that's also a state capital, with employers that are attractive to young professionals? If so, that's probably okay with me, though I did want to see what others thought about being a late 30s and soon to be early 40s single guy in Raleigh? I don't know if the pickings will be slim, compared to, say, Northern Virginia, where you can find a solid social scene at any age I think.
Decent social scene. Similar to Richmond. Raleigh is more catered to a yuppie crowd even with nightlife as compared to DC which caters to just about everyone. So, if you like meeting people at the new David Guetta party, you won't find it here.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:43 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,683,359 times
Raleigh's a great place for young professionals like yourself looking to date. Lots of decent places for you to meet people your age who are looking for the same things.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,781,662 times
I'm about 10 years older than you and married, but have a lot of single friends that run from around your age to early 50s. There's definitely plenty of well educated single people your age that are out and about every time I venture out to a brewery, bar, or music club. I do some of the social bike rides and wife sometimes does a run club, and both have lots of single 30/40-somethings. The area has a lot better social scene than it used to, with people out doing stuff at reasonable hours instead of places only getting busy at 11pm or later like when I was younger. Instead of mainly lawyers and govt folks downtown during day, there's now more variety, with tech companies and others now down there, too, and places fill after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary