Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM

143 posts, read 201,790 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I need to find a pretty comprehensive math tutoring program for my middle schooler for the summer.

We have a pretty interesting report card - all A's and an F in math. Already met with the school mid year, and they are going to pass her but we have to get her caught up over the summer.

She is like me, very language oriented but not great at math, but I will say the math curriculum at her school did not help. They have no book, no actual "curriculum" and she gets basically homemade (comic sans!) worksheets for homework.

We thought about hiring a tutor - but with no book I have zero to give the tutor for reference.

So, we think the best bet is a full on system like Sylvan - but I've not heard great things about them over the years. I know they are expensive and I don't mind paying it if they get results.

I've also seen Mathnasium and a few others. We are in Apex/Cary area, but I don't mind a bit of driving for a really good option.

Any of you use Sylvan or other related tutors for middle school math - Or the Sylvan Online system?

Thanks for literally any input y'all have. I'm also curious as to a ballpark figure on cost of Sylvan.

Summer of Math 2015 (woo)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM

386 posts, read 606,082 times
Not sure what they would offer for you but there's Learn From The Best in Cary - Tutoring - Tutors - Kindergarten - Social Skills, Cary, NC

Old 05-28-2015, 11:32 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
Hello!

I need to find a pretty comprehensive math tutoring program for my middle schooler for the summer.

We have a pretty interesting report card - all A's and an F in math. Already met with the school mid year, and they are going to pass her but we have to get her caught up over the summer.

She is like me, very language oriented but not great at math, but I will say the math curriculum at her school did not help. They have no book, no actual "curriculum" and she gets basically homemade (comic sans!) worksheets for homework.

We thought about hiring a tutor - but with no book I have zero to give the tutor for reference.

So, we think the best bet is a full on system like Sylvan - but I've not heard great things about them over the years. I know they are expensive and I don't mind paying it if they get results.

I've also seen Mathnasium and a few others. We are in Apex/Cary area, but I don't mind a bit of driving for a really good option.

Any of you use Sylvan or other related tutors for middle school math - Or the Sylvan Online system?

Thanks for literally any input y'all have. I'm also curious as to a ballpark figure on cost of Sylvan.

Have you asked the school about tutors? They should have a list. Many teachers also tutor and they know the specifics of the curriculum.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Anyone who bills themselves as a tutor should have access to DPI's curriculum mapping.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,828 times
Mathnasium doesn't rely on school text books. Mathnasium first does a comprehensive assessment and then creates a customized learning plan to address any skill deficiencies identified. This is the best way to spend the summer getting the skills in place to be successful with math next fall. Mathnasium of Apex's phone number is 919-465-3907.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
Hello!

Hi I am wondering if you did find a good tutor for math. Can you please post as I am also looking for my son who is 8th grader . Appreciate your reply. thank you.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Khan Academy is really good and free. You can set up parent and coach/teacher accounts to monitor your child's progress and even give assignments. They have it set up by Common Core standards, individual disciplines (Algebra, geometry, etc) and even NY state/Eureka standards.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:08 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,558 times
Highly recommend Burke Learning Center. Our daughter was struggling and they were a tremendous help. They actually helped them with their homework and cover what they are currently doing in the classroom. Can't recommend them enough.

https://www.theburkelearningcenter.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary