Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I feel like this is so common around here lately that it barely makes the news anymore. Where I came from this would be big news.
Based on our population it is not that frequent. There are much smaller metro areas with higher crime rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Where we moved from this wouldn't have made the news. Baltimore Sun had "muders this year" counter on the last page and it was already going in the first week of January.

I don't get the purpose of this post though. What are you trying to achieve by posting here? What action is expected from the readers? If this is just a discussion then I feel difference of opinions is not welcome in this post. If this is some kind of call to action then it's not clear. Why not take this concern to the local PD instead?

Look at the other posts on the same subject here. Every time it's "OMG criminals are moving in here, this area is going down the drain, I don't feel safe anymore, 'memba 20 years ago, oh I 'memba" etc. and that's it. The post dies until the next incident.

Want to stop crime? Talk to law enforcement, ask them what you can do. I'm sure they abe facts and data up to wazoo on this.

As a side note - yesterday on Twitter I learned there is some sort of opioid crisis in Cary. So there is that...

Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Where we moved from this wouldn't have made the news. Baltimore Sun had "muders this year" counter on the last page and it was already going in the first week of January.

I don't get the purpose of this post though. What are you trying to achieve by posting here? What action is expected from the readers? If this is just a discussion then I feel difference of opinions is not welcome in this post. If this is some kind of call to action then it's not clear. Why not take this concern to the local PD instead?

Look at the other posts on the same subject here. Every time it's "OMG criminals are moving in here, this area is going down the drain, I don't feel safe anymore, 'memba 20 years ago, oh I 'memba" etc. and that's it. The post dies until the next incident.

Want to stop crime? Talk to law enforcement, ask them what you can do. I'm sure they abe facts and data up to wazoo on this.

As a side note - yesterday on Twitter I learned there is some sort of opioid crisis in Cary. So there is that...
I'm not understanding why some people are so upset about creating awareness regarding crime in the area. The story was buried on wral.com and as far as I know not shown on the telecast. Nobody is forcing you to read these types of threads, and there are probably people who learned of the incident via this thread. We have 50 page threads regarding winter storms - I'm fairly sure people are very aware of the winter storms.

If you found the post offensive, I apologize.

Last edited by m378; 02-01-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 PM

15 posts, read 11,081 times
M378
You are correct. The way they report crime is very odd compared to MA.
But it is N.C. and not MA.
Crimes are listed on the WRAL website for not even 24hours before it seems they go away and nothing more is heard about it.
I worked for 1 year in RTP Park and could not believe when there was an armed robbery at the hotel where our corporate HQ’s had corporate visitors use. Again listed on WRAL for less than one day.
I had to google the hotel and incident as no one inside the company had heard anything about it.
I was the one to inform our travel department not to use the hotel.
No description of the assailant, no sketch nothing.

No sketch, no description listed many times for many crimes, just not what I am used to.

I found this beyond my understanding. I started to keep a spreadsheet of how much crime was going on because I couldn’t grasp he much there was. Many of my family are in law enforcements so I pay attention to armed robberies, people being robbed at gunpoint. Scary stuff.

BTW, I returned to MA and could not be happier, but still read the paper as I come down at least once a month as my significant other is there for another year before he returns to MA.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:06 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm not understanding why some people are so upset about creating awareness regarding crime in the area. The story was buried on wral.com and as far as I know not shown on the telecast. Nobody is forcing you to read these types of threads, and there are probably people who learned of the incident via this thread. We have 50 page threads regarding winter storms - I'm fairly sure people are very aware of the winter storms.

If you found the post offensive, I apologize.
It's not offensive, it's annoying. The "spreading awareness" part was done on page 1, thanks. Then when others commented that it might not be a huge deal you came back to argue (but forgot to bring any factual evidence).

"No one is forcing to read" is a rather childish argument, sorry. Well, no one is forcing you to write either, so how about that? This post appears in the list together with others. Seeing there were several pages I thought maybe there was an update, like a suspect found. Quite disappointing.

There are other news sources than WRAL. I don't watch TV or seek crime news or live close to the area but I've heard that happened. It was also covered by CBS: Masked gunman robs Morrisville drug store | WNCN . There was a news release by town of Morrisville and I'm sure it hit Nextdoor in the surrounding area. I understand a robbery could be huge news where you come/came from but it's not the same in a larger area. No one was hurt, it's not a trend, so I'm not surprised news outlets chose not to blow this up.

Police reports are available online for anyone to see, by the way.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:46 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
It's not offensive, it's annoying. The "spreading awareness" part was done on page 1, thanks. Then when others commented that it might not be a huge deal you came back to argue (but forgot to bring any factual evidence).

"No one is forcing to read" is a rather childish argument, sorry. Well, no one is forcing you to write either, so how about that? This post appears in the list together with others. Seeing there were several pages I thought maybe there was an update, like a suspect found. Quite disappointing.

There are other news sources than WRAL. I don't watch TV or seek crime news or live close to the area but I've heard that happened. It was also covered by CBS: Masked gunman robs Morrisville drug store | WNCN . There was a news release by town of Morrisville and I'm sure it hit Nextdoor in the surrounding area. I understand a robbery could be huge news where you come/came from but it's not the same in a larger area. No one was hurt, it's not a trend, so I'm not surprised news outlets chose not to blow this up.

Police reports are available online for anyone to see, by the way.

This is a message board - people post news stories on here all the time for debate and discussion. If people didn't, this message board wouldn't exist. Just because a thread is something that annoys you personally, doesn't mean it's not worth posting.

For the record, I'm originally from a much larger metro area than the Triangle.

Last edited by m378; 02-02-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Full coverageMorrisville police seek man in armed robbery of CVSWTVD-TV Jan 28, 2018

Masked gunman robs Morrisville drug storeWNCN Jan 28, 2018

Morrisville police searching for man who robbed CVS Pharmacy at gunpointWRAL.com Jan 28, 2018

Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
12:15 PM Ground Hog Day

Another overdose EMS call in Cary: listen at: Cary Fire-Rescue - Live Audio Feed Web Player

Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
12:15 PM Ground Hog Day

Another overdose EMS call in Cary:
I guess we're now talking about all crime, in this thread? Not just armed robberies?

Old 02-02-2018, 01:00 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I expect to be in Cary, Morrisville, Durham, and Raleigh today, and fully expect to return home unscathed by molestation, murder, rape, or Offers I Cannot Refuse from Girl Scouts/Brownies with Cookies.

Meh. No worries here.

Damnit..still can't rep you so here's a virtual high-five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary