Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 06:59 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times

Advertisements

Just got some exciting news - my sister (who I haven't seen in a year) is coming down to Raleigh to visit in mid-March. She lives in NYC so I don't want her to be bored while she's here. Any recommendations on things to do in mid-March in the Raleigh area?

I plan on taking her to Bond Park in Cary. We both like getting outdoors and that park is fantastic. Super clean and large.

Will it be warm enough to go to Wilmington around that time? I know she'd like to walk the downtown and probably the boardwalk on the beach down there.

As far as things in Raleigh/Cary, I was thinking maybe rock climbing? She's never been and I know she'd enjoy it.

Is there anything over at Lake Johnson? I live not too far from it but I've never actually been there.

Any parades/festivals/things of interest in any of the downtowns? I'm open to downtown Raleigh, Cary, and Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:07 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Here's a calendar of events from the Convention and Visitor's Bureau: https://www.visitraleigh.com/events/...SAAEgJUkvD_BwE

Plenty warm enough for a visit to Wilmington. And in Raleigh, don't forget the museums, especially if the weather is bad. And Duke Gardens, if the weather is nice.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:27 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I plan on taking her to Bond Park in Cary. We both like getting outdoors and that park is fantastic. Super clean and large..
If it is both sunny and windy, I would head over to Wilson and check out the Whirligigs. They are really impressive.
https://www.wilsonwhirligigpark.org/

Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 AM

259 posts, read 243,272 times
-An hour long cocktail class at Crude Bitters in Downtown Raleigh
-Segway tour of Downtown Raleigh/Oakwood
-Raleigh Room Escapes
-Can you rent a bicycle and ride the greenway?

Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
As long as you'll be around Bond, stop off at La Farm Bakery.

I think there are other parks that could be more fun & picturesque. Lake Johnson's paved trail is nicer because there are lake views for most of it, and a boat house with decks, patio tables, chairs. March is a month too early for boat rental.

There is a tree ropes course / zip lining place called Go Ape, north of the city.

Also Yates Mill Park has a nice unpaved loop around the lake.

Ditto on Sarah P. Duke, it's a gorgeous place.

How old is she? We can give you a lot of restaurant choices downtown too.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:53 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Depending on the exact weekend, you'd probably have the ACC or NCAA basketball tournament (March Madness) going on, which can be a lot of fun in this area (although the PNC Arena is not a site of the NCAAs this year like in some years).

Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Here's a calendar of events from the Convention and Visitor's Bureau: https://www.visitraleigh.com/events/...SAAEgJUkvD_BwE

Plenty warm enough for a visit to Wilmington. And in Raleigh, don't forget the museums, especially if the weather is bad. And Duke Gardens, if the weather is nice.
Thanks for the link! I haven't heard about Duke Gardens. I'm sure she'd like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If it is both sunny and windy, I would head over to Wilson and check out the Whirligigs. They are really impressive.
https://www.wilsonwhirligigpark.org/
Cool! Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
-An hour long cocktail class at Crude Bitters in Downtown Raleigh
-Segway tour of Downtown Raleigh/Oakwood
-Raleigh Room Escapes
-Can you rent a bicycle and ride the greenway?
Totally have to do the segway tours. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
As long as you'll be around Bond, stop off at La Farm Bakery.

I think there are other parks that could be more fun & picturesque. Lake Johnson's paved trail is nicer because there are lake views for most of it, and a boat house with decks, patio tables, chairs. March is a month too early for boat rental.

There is a tree ropes course / zip lining place called Go Ape, north of the city.

Also Yates Mill Park has a nice unpaved loop around the lake.

Ditto on Sarah P. Duke, it's a gorgeous place.

How old is she? We can give you a lot of restaurant choices downtown too.
Awesome suggestions! She's 21. I have a fair amount of downtown restaurants to take her but always welcome to more! She does enjoy a good glass of wine. She and my mother are always visiting vineyards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Depending on the exact weekend, you'd probably have the ACC or NCAA basketball tournament (March Madness) going on, which can be a lot of fun in this area (although the PNC Arena is not a site of the NCAAs this year like in some years).
It's funny you mention that because my sister isn't into sports at all, but my father is. I may need to bring him down here too.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 AM

253 posts, read 236,474 times
If she has any interest in art and depending on the date she's here, Art in Bloom at the NCMA is Mar. 22-25 and very interesting. Plus I think the art museum has a pretty impressive collection, especially for a city our size. And definitely the Duke gardens. And really anything outdoorsy if she lives in NYC. When I lived in NYC, any trip to a place with actual grass and greenery was nice:-)

Old 01-30-2018, 09:24 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,876 times
How about a walking food tour? I took my foodie sister on one several years ago when she visited and she loved it.

There are several companies now. Just Google "Raleigh Food Tour." They also have them in Durham and Chapel Hill too.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:35 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Hurricanes game? With the new owner really emphasizing fan experience, it should at least be a fun atmosphere

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/schedule/2018-03-01/ET

The March 17th game against the Philadelphia Flyers is part of the team's Homegrown Series and features a t-shirt designed by a local clothing company, a signature entree and dessert, beer from a local brewery, art from a local artist, and a performance by a local musician/group between periods.

For that game in particular:

T-Shirt (by House of Swank)

Food
Pimento Grilled Cheese (served with Sweet Potato Fries) and Peach Cobbler

Beer
Aviator Brewing Company is the featured local brewery

Art
Kat Lamp is the featured local artist

Music
Youth League, a band from Durham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary