Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:34 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times

Advertisements

I think most of the economists have pointed out that the stock market's meteoric rise was not an actual indicator of the economy going up as quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Capital is a hoot.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I don't think it's very nice to rejoice over a stock market crash when people's 401Ks could lose a lot of money.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I don't think it's very nice to rejoice over a stock market crash when people's 401Ks could lose a lot of money.
Of course not.
Mine has been hit, of course, but thankfully I am not a retiree with limited means.
Or planning to retire, wanting to sell off a bit, and minimal time to make up any loss.

Rejoicing at the pain of those who are immediately affected is sadly puerile.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:09 AM

425 posts, read 462,551 times
I love myself some good ol' class warfare. After-all, we all know that only those (evil) rich people own stocks, presumably inherited from their grandfather. It's not like everyone's 401k, company pension, IRA, etc. isn't really tied directly to that same stock market.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
I love myself some good ol' class warfare. After-all, we all know that only those (evil) rich people own stocks, presumably inherited from their grandfather. It's not like everyone's 401k, company pension, IRA, etc. isn't really tied directly to that same stock market.
"Hipsters with inHeritances?"

Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Sometimes you earn your reputation.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
CB, as I recall, right as soon as the brunt of the crash was done, we had people flooding in here like ants to a picnic.

You might want to be careful what you wish for.

I realize you love it when those of us who own homes are at risk of losing them or taking a hit when we sell, but try to keep your gloating to a minimum. Everyone will need to move to apartments before their credit gets ruined and they'll still be able to afford more than what you think apartments should cost, so I expect that'll raise rents and speed up the building of overpriced tinderboxes and do you want that?

I think not.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 AM

174 posts, read 194,493 times
(Not to be construed as investing advice) Eh, markets fluctuate.... would have handed back 3 weels of a 60 week runup if we sold, which we haven't. Screening for entry points but not actually seeing any yet... "less overpriced" isn't interesting. Economy looks stronger than one might think.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM

179 posts, read 151,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
People without work WILL move for lower salaries when they have no salary.
They will if given the opportunity. Problem is that recessions mean layoffs, which means an increase in supply of local candidates searching for work. Then, most hiring recruiters label their job ads with "local candidates only". My only point here is that the last two recessions decreased the transplant influx. This is particularly true in tech, which makes up a large portion of the Triangle workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Road rage?" Hah. Makes me wonder about the "...and so on's." "Good Pizza, perhaps?"
Ok, actual road rage incidents technically aren't particularly common, but aggressive driving is everywhere these days and worsening, and it occasionally approaches road rage status. I NEVER saw this during the last two recessions. I probably should have just said aggressive driving instead of road rage in my first message.

"And so on" refers to any undesirable effect of growth, such a increased parking hassles, increased times waiting in lines for things. In the last two recessions I could visually observe less people everywhere. It's not that the people fled the area, it's just that if they are unemployed or suffering a pay cut (both of which become very common scenarios around here in economic down times) they have less opportunity to fill up their gas tank and go joyriding or shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary