Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

My family of four is planning to move to Raleigh, and we need some help finding an appropriate location in the area. What areas do you all think would fit us best. Our budget is 250k, we homeschool our kids and are secular, so would like to be near a secular homeschool community if possible; we would prefer more moderate areas, but that is not a main criterion; we are outdoorsy so we would like to be near hiking trails, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I think you start by googling "Raleigh home school" and winnow out the non-secular. I'm not aware of home-schoolers tending to live near each other, but that's what's to be discovered.

the next question becomes why you're moving here - assuming it's for a specific job, then what are the commute time parameters.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Assuming single family home over townhouse ? Correct me if I am wrong.

Focus on a nice neighborhood for 250. That is a challenge right there.
If you find that I think the hiking, home school groups and moderate thing will fall into place anywhere.

Durant Trails and Falls River comes to mind.
Durant Nature Park, Greenway, Neuse River Trail and Falls Lake are all close.
There are homes in that price range there but they go fast.

Last edited by kelly237; 02-12-2018 at 05:07 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 04:51 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Homeschooling is pretty popular here, I don't think you'll have trouble finding homeschoolers regardless of where you land. I do not think they are all congregating in one area, and it's pretty spread out here, so I think you can cross that criteria off your list. There are even homeschool sports teams.

Have you been here? Likes, dislikes? Where is the job?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 3,537 times
Thank you for your responses. I think I need to clarify a bit. We dont have to be within Raleigh city limits, any of the surrounding towns would be good, as well, though we prefer the city, proper. I am a software engineer, so i expect to get a job in the city or in the triangle. I think a commute time of 30 to 40 minutes is acceptable. We have only been to the city on the internet, but know people who do and have lived there. We arent terribly picky people and only require that the house be single family and the area be relatively safe and close to outdoor activities. We have looked at Durant trails and would love to be able to get into that neighborhood. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:32 AM

70 posts, read 59,700 times
http://www.caryhomeschoolers.org

You'll probably want to be close to Cary. Cary Homeschoolers is, to the best of my knowledge, the largest secular/inclusive homeschool group in the area. It's a very large group. They have park days every week at different Cary parks, and a weekly gym day meetup. We were members for many years, but dropped out when our youngest hit high school age.

There is also Dayspring - which is Christian but open to all. They were not a fit for us -we are secular as well- but I know a lot of non-religious homeschoolers that are members of that group as well.

Median home price in Cary is 400k, however, so depending on what kind of house you want you may have to look at towns that are near to Cary rather than Cary itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighHopeful View Post
My family of four is planning to move to Raleigh, and we need some help finding an appropriate location in the area. What areas do you all think would fit us best. Our budget is 250k, we homeschool our kids and are secular, so would like to be near a secular homeschool community if possible; we would prefer more moderate areas, but that is not a main criterion; we are outdoorsy so we would like to be near hiking trails, as well.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:39 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I think I need to clarify a bit. We dont have to be within Raleigh city limits, any of the surrounding towns would be good, as well, though we prefer the city, proper. I am a software engineer, so i expect to get a job in the city or in the triangle. I think a commute time of 30 to 40 minutes is acceptable. We have only been to the city on the internet, but know people who do and have lived there. We arent terribly picky people and only require that the house be single family and the area be relatively safe and close to outdoor activities. We have looked at Durant trails and would love to be able to get into that neighborhood. Thank you for all your suggestions.
Will you get the job before you move ??
Commute times can be different than what it appears on a map because of rush hour backups.
I personally would not want to live in North Raleigh and work in Cary or Morrisville.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Where are you working? How far of a commute do you want?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
You need to visit - it is impossible to get a feel for the area by looking online.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:15 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Where are you working?
He doesn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
How far of a commute do you want?
30 - 40 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary