Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:59 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times

Advertisements

Due to recent break-ins in the area, there are tons of Nextdoor posts discussing security. Seems like most criminals break through the back door, and just kick it in or the window in the back. An alarm system is a must, but the next thing these days is more secure door armor, am I correct? The typical house door can be kicked in by anybody due to the short screws they use. Also, modern construction likes to use doors with a lot of glass.

So it's good to get door armor with secured screwed in the door jambs and a film that covers the glass that's harder to break. I'd rather not do this myself, so does anyone have any recommendations on Shield Effects? They are a local company (I think), and people on Nextdoor praise them for the work they did. I would hire them to put security film on the back and front doors, and security door jambs or armor door jambs on the front, back and garage doors.

Here is their website:
http://www.shieldeffects.com/

I don't need you to tell me, "If someone wants to break into your house, they will." I already know that. The entire point is to make your house a deterrence so that if something is hard to break into, they will move on. Latest news is that a house was broken into at around 6.30pm at Stonewater off O'Kelly Chapel Rd, they entered through the rear door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 03:02 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,015 times
Get an alarm.

The construction in many homes and the junk plastic windows are a joke for a burglar.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:09 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
The website is a little light on info, I'm sure by design, so they can come out and give you the hard sell. While I'm intrigued by it, I'm not clear on how the security film works. It almost seems like it turns it into windshield glass, it will shatter but not break out? But it seems like a determined thief would just push right through the film. If they think that you have something of value in the house, that's not going to stop anyone.

I installed film on my son's bedroom windows last year, it was pretty easy and works great. If I can do it, trust me most people can on most windows. I'm wondering what the charge would be for that service, and I'm also curious how the "security" film differs from that.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Get an alarm.

The construction in many homes and the junk plastic windows are a joke for a burglar.
Most burglars have gone on record in jail house interviews as saying alarms are no deterrent. There's too many false alarms and police response is slow enough for them to get in and out with what they want.

Plastic windows? Do tell about the new plastic windows the hipsters are installing in their tinderboxes.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:08 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The website is a little light on info, I'm sure by design, so they can come out and give you the hard sell. While I'm intrigued by it, I'm not clear on how the security film works. It almost seems like it turns it into windshield glass, it will shatter but not break out? But it seems like a determined thief would just push right through the film. If they think that you have something of value in the house, that's not going to stop anyone.

I installed film on my son's bedroom windows last year, it was pretty easy and works great. If I can do it, trust me most people can on most windows. I'm wondering what the charge would be for that service, and I'm also curious how the "security" film differs from that.

Security film does work. It's thicker than the standard window tint. Google around, there are a lot of videos showing how it greatly slows down entry. Here's one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8AvttC46M

Any local window tinting company will have access to security films.

The stuff that homeowners buy from Home Depot of Lowes does help with solar heat gain. Problem is that it looks like crap from the outside and the inside. I went that route initially for some south facing windows and hated it. The real stuff, like nano ceramic, is much better. However, it is costly and ran us approx. $3k for 20 windows.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:22 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,889 times
A lot of time the door kick doesn't break the door, it breaks at the lock/jamb. Change out the short screws used to install the lock with longer ones.

I installed the solar film years ago and if I can do it anyone can. I wouldn't say it looks like crap from the outside.

I was at the Scrap Exchange yesterday and they had a bin of some security firm signs for sale at $1 each. Maybe add one of those signs to your yard?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:54 AM

776 posts, read 956,518 times
Putting resistant security window film on the vulnerable rear windows is a OK idea, but they are only a way to slow down a thief. Metal grill doors are the much better way. If they can't get past the metal grill they can't get in the house. An additional step is to cover the windows too.

The choice is .....put longer screws in the door frame, or mount a metal grill door, which is way tougher than a ordinary door.

XXX.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:05 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
If you're really concerned about door safety then you can hire a handyman to install reinforced metal framing around the door. This is something that I plan to do when we build our next house.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Security film does work. It's thicker than the standard window tint. Google around, there are a lot of videos showing how it greatly slows down entry. Here's one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8AvttC46M

Any local window tinting company will have access to security films.

The stuff that homeowners buy from Home Depot of Lowes does help with solar heat gain. Problem is that it looks like crap from the outside and the inside. I went that route initially for some south facing windows and hated it. The real stuff, like nano ceramic, is much better. However, it is costly and ran us approx. $3k for 20 windows.
Thanks for the link! WE have all glass facing the screened in porch and it is a bit concerning.

Yeah I only used the film in my son's room, he's the only one in there and rarely raises the shades so no one has to see it. I've never even looked at it from the outside, it's on the second floor.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:19 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Most burglars have gone on record in jail house interviews as saying alarms are no deterrent. There's too many false alarms and police response is slow enough for them to get in and out with what they want.

Plastic windows? Do tell about the new plastic windows the hipsters are installing in their tinderboxes.
If you have nearby neighbors a local siren might get them to come out and look. That might prompt the burglar to vamoose before the authorities respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary