Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:23 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of hate about McMansion's but why? What sq footage exactly is a McMansion?

Wouldn't a single person in a 1200 sq ft townhome be taking up more space to themselves than a family of four in a 3000 sq ft house? 3k/4 = 750

Is a Mcmansion just code for 'any house bigger than mine' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
McMansions 101: What Makes a McMansion Bad... | McMansion Hell

Old 02-21-2018, 07:30 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Dictionary defintion - a large modern house considered to look mass-produced, lacking in distinguishing characteristics, and at variance with established local architecture

Old 02-21-2018, 07:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I like McMansions.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:33 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Why is it called a McMansion? - Business Insider

Old 02-21-2018, 07:39 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
People who call out "McMansions" are usually people who can't afford them. I see this a lot in the west Cary area. For example, if you want 3800 square feet or higher in the west Cary area (west of highway 55, along Green Level Church Road), then you are looking at a STARTING price of 550-600k and after you add in options for a new house or if it's a resale with other features, then it's a higher price than that. People who can't afford that like to call them "McMansions" to put other people down.

Buy what you like and what you can afford - you only live once in this world.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I see a lot of hate about McMansion's but why? What sq footage exactly is a McMansion?

Wouldn't a single person in a 1200 sq ft townhome be taking up more space to themselves than a family of four in a 3000 sq ft house? 3k/4 = 750

Is a Mcmansion just code for 'any house bigger than mine' ?
Not exactly.
Actually, "McMansion" is code for "I'm snottier than you are, and ergo, superior to you."

So, someone's kid starts a juvenile blog called "McMansion Hell" to provide over-the-top proof of exemplary snottiness and self-proclaimed superiority.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mcmansion.asp

"McMansions" are generally viewed by people who use the term as mass produced houses designed to appeal to a buyer who likes to show off their newly achieved wealth. 3,000 sq. ft. is the threshold according to this definition (that's not my definition but the one in the link).

I can see criticism being warranted if someone lives in a "McMansion" and puts others who live in much more modest housing down. If they're saying something ridiculous like "You'll never live in a house as fine as me, you peasant!", then someone has every right to criticize them. Fortunately, I can't think of anyone like that, but if I could, they would have bigger issues than the type of house they lived in. And I wouldn't voluntarily spend much time with them!

I'm not big on architectural snobbery- hating on people because they like a certain kind of house even if I find it personally to be not my style, or architecturally less appealing than other houses, including those that are often more modest than the so called "McMansions". It's still someone's home that they've most likely worked hard for and holds people and things that are very important to them (hopefully in that order).

Old 02-21-2018, 07:49 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not exactly.

So, someone's kid starts a juvenile blog called "McMansion Hell" to provide over-the-top proof of exemplary snottiness and self-proclaimed superiority.
Huh? The blog for the most part points out architectural blunders

Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 PM

80 posts, read 79,633 times
Technically according to the dictionary it is "a large modern house that is considered ostentatious and lacking in architectural integrity." I'd say that describes a great many houses in the Triangle area.

Having lived in many parts of the country and having seen different styles of homes, I have to say that the homes here, no matter their size, are some of the most architecturally boring ever. You can check Realtor.com and peruse the interiors of homes on the market and their size won't matter....you will find very similar floor plans and boxy rooms in both less expensive and higher end homes.

Out west a thief worth his sorry salt has to really work to figure out where certain rooms are in many houses, but here....it's the same floor plan almost every time. Must be boring work for your average thug.

Quote:
Break in....okay Joe you take the dining room on the left while I take the formal living on the right. Smidge, you take the stairs right in front of us and I'll go straight back to the kitchen and family room. Looks like another McMansion today!
Before someone jumps in with feathers flying no, I'm not a thief and I have no idea who you are or what your house looks like. Don't take this personally....sheesh! The awful thing about forums is you have to pat people's heads who get offended easily.

Sometimes I think if I see one more brick house with columns out front I'm going to....well, it is what it is. Anyone moving here from out west will soon find that upholding an image of being "ta tee ta" is far more important than fitting one's own individual style. Generally speaking of course. If you don't know what that means, you'll find out eventually.

For curiosity seekers my home is architecturally boring, though not ostentatious. That said, my home is artfully decorated inside and very bright and airy. It's an honest home if you get my drift....

Anyway, you asked. Well maybe not for all of that, but you started a fun thread. Jowel, I love what you said, very beautifully worded:

Quote:
"It's still someone's home that they've most likely worked hard for and holds people and things that are very important to them (hopefully in that order)."
A true "home" is about the people inside no matter how it looks on the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary