Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times

Advertisements

Expand your search to older homes that have been updated, and lower your acreage to more than 1/3 and less than 1/2 and you can find stuff that is more desirable, closer in (think resale value) and custom.

In your price range, even.

You need to see these homes for yourself. Some homes on .75 of an acre are less private than ones on .45 acres. Depends on how the home is situated on the lot. Don't pay the premium for a brand-new house. Or even one that's less than 5, because it's still got the "newness tax" on it.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Expand your search to older homes that have been updated, and lower your acreage to more than 1/3 and less than 1/2 and you can find stuff that is more desirable, closer in (think resale value) and custom.

In your price range, even.

You need to see these homes for yourself. Some homes on .75 of an acre are less private than ones on .45 acres. Depends on how the home is situated on the lot. Don't pay the premium for a brand-new house. Or even one that's less than 5, because it's still got the "newness tax" on it.

Just my thoughts.
I agree. Unless you have some requirement like a lot where you can put a pool, you should expand your requirements.

It's all about how it's laid out and where it's located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. Make sure you know how many GPM your well is producing (5 GPM is a good guideline) enough to sustain your needs.

You're going to be looking at a new septic system, so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about for many years to come. The only real drawback that I see is that you can't have a disposal with a septic system.

Many of my neighbors have been here since the 60's and are on their original septic systems.
GPM is one metric but the depth of the well is also very important. I'd rather have a 2 GPM well that is 500 feet deep than a 5 GPM well that is 100 feet deep.

Some of the homes on well/septic are in Wake County, not in the city, too, so that can save some big money in taxes each year. (Not to mention no water bills.)

Old 03-01-2018, 02:25 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
GPM is one metric but the depth of the well is also very important. I'd rather have a 2 GPM well that is 500 feet deep than a 5 GPM well that is 100 feet deep.

Some of the homes on well/septic are in Wake County, not in the city, too, so that can save some big money in taxes each year. (Not to mention no water bills.)
Its a tossup...A deeper well gets you more "storage" in the casement, but if you pump it out, you have a long, long time to get it to refill assuming you don't have adequate production.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
... A deeper well gets you more "storage" ...
Not necessarily. It depends on the static water level.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:54 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,562 times
Quote:

Yep, exactly. Our well is less than 2GPM but is over 500ft deep. We haven't had any issues, been the house over a year now.

If you look at the capacity of a septic system, it's unlikely that the septic can even handle the full amount of water that is contained in a 500 ft deep well.

The biggest downside is that you can't water your lawn (or at least, you need to be really careful) with a low yield well.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Yep, exactly. Our well is less than 2GPM but is over 500ft deep. We haven't had any issues, been the house over a year now.

If you look at the capacity of a septic system, it's unlikely that the septic can even handle the full amount of water that is contained in a 500 ft deep well.

The biggest downside is that you can't water your lawn (or at least, you need to be really careful) with a low yield well.
Yes, but in your case with a 500 foot well you should be able to water your lawn for several hours per day if you wanted to.

Or, just get Bermuda grass which doesn’t need much water.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,562 times
Quote:
Yes, but in your case with a 500 foot well you should be able to water your lawn for several hours per day if you wanted to.

Or, just get Bermuda grass which doesn’t need much water.
yep, we have some leeway for sure.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 PM

644 posts, read 841,963 times
Thank you all for your comments and feedback which was all very useful. We ended up getting a new construction with a fairly big lot. We did not want to get an older home as we do not have the time to invest into redoing certain things, rather, we would deal with as little as possible for the next 10 years.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 PM

644 posts, read 841,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree. Unless you have some requirement like a lot where you can put a pool, you should expand your requirements.

It's all about how it's laid out and where it's located.
Unfortunately or fortunately, location and wanting a certain layout - bedroom on the first floor, open floor plan, etc without wanting to do anything in the next few years led to us building our own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary