Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,684 times

Advertisements

this is hard and embarrassing.... my mate was very abusive for many years. even arrested last year for assaulting children and myself. there is no reconciling. she is gone and no idea where. not heard from her. probably not even in this state. maybe not even in this country as she has family/friends outside of us. what i am doing is for the children, for their safety.

i do not have money that i can whip up three to four figures at one time to do this divorce stuff. i need someone that is willing to work with me, and not going to charge me half a year's rent!! i do not know where she is and i only have 2-3 contacts that may have an idea, if they willing to provide me the info.

i have called two dozen and they are all pretty much saying the same thing: pay them to chat for a few minutes even if i am not going to hire them, while they tell me their fees are astronomical. some said i can hire a private investigator. please, i can barely pay a lawyer let alone that. i got kids to feed. this has to be done, but within my financial abilities.

i live in raleigh and do not have time nor money to drive to a hundred places for those half hour consultations and i would prefer to stick with someone within raleigh limits if i have to visit him/her after work, unless we can do most stuff electronically if needed then not matter where they are located.

can you please give me some personal recommendations i can contact? this is a painful situation and i am stressed enough trying to deal with this, but i got children to protect and i am always praying she is safe wherever she is.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 05:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
In NC you must separate for at least a year. Uncontested dirvorce isn't very expensive but I think it runs around $1,500. However I don't think a lawyer is actually mandated by law. But, I'm not a lawyer.

https://www.lawhelpnc.org/resource/d...cket-self-help

The top page 3 addresses your situation.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:09 PM

569 posts, read 440,438 times
Do you have EAP through your work? If so, it might include legal referrals in addition to counseling referrals and sometimes they offer a discount rate.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
I do uncontested divorces and they can typically be done very cheaply. The problem you are going to have is serving your ex. If you don't know where she is at all that is a problem. You need to work on pinpointing her location down to at least a city so that notice can be published in a newspaper there (absent an address to serve her at).

Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 AM

379 posts, read 749,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
Do you have EAP through your work? If so, it might include legal referrals in addition to counseling referrals and sometimes they offer a discount rate.
Or a legal plan, like MetLaw.

Aside from that, sorry to hear of your situation OP. I've previously done the year separation and then did the paperwork for the uncontested divorce myself. I think it was maybe $100 or less total in fees (notaries, filing, etc.)

Best wishes -- look positively towards your bright new future

Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I don’t know what your income is but with a history of abuse you might try legal aid of North Carolina to see if you qualify for any of their services.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:41 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I don’t know what your income is but with a history of abuse you might try legal aid of North Carolina to see if you qualify for any of their services.
This is good suggestion and perhaps groups that help domestic abuse survivors can provide some guidance too.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Check out interact too. They may have referrals.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:55 PM

527 posts, read 686,940 times
Think back - do you have any friends you went to school with who are practicing this sort of law that would be willing to sit with you and chat if you explained? That's how I've known friends to do it when they've had to keep the fact they were consulting with a lawyer on the low. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Good for you for getting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: