Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 06:29 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times

Advertisements

After a long search, for us it comes down to buying a (retirement) home around Brier Creek off Leesville Rd OR Wake Forest/Heritage off Rogers Rd. We’re trying to learn all we can online, but we’ve never lived anywhere near Raleigh-Durham, so we have zero “local knowledge.” We’ve driven around both areas and we’re mapping out local dining, shopping, libraries, theatre and other POIs to us. And I assume I’ll be able to estimate property taxes for both. But what are the intangibles we might not learn on our own?

Anything folks here could tell us about both areas would be most appreciated. Outlook for the areas? Traffic? Infrastructure? Bike or walking paths? Resale/appreciation? Crime/safety? Intangibles? Other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 06:54 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Do you want to be close to the airport? BC wins for that.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:11 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
Wake forest/Heritage for sure. Beautiful rolling hills, no airport noise. Great Healthcare. Everything I need is on Rogers road including my vet, dermatology, hairstylist, amazing restaurants, grocery, pharmacy, doctor's office, dentist, etc. You can access the greenway from the new over 50 development on Rogers road. It's at the end of Marshall Farm street. The greenway is about 4 miles long now and it's an easy bike ride to Publix, coldstone, chronic tacos, and Rudinos from the greenway (all greenway and sidewalks... no road). You can also walk or bike to Wine 101 and Buku from that location again no roads... Residential sidewalks. Tons of town festivals and events. A real historic downtown with lots of shops and restaurants. Everything you need is in Wake Forest. I don't have to drive to Raleigh for any services. The Rex wellness center is catered towards retired. I've lived other places in the triangle and those areas felt spread out without a true identity. Wake Forest is not like that at all.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Do you want to be close to the airport? BC wins for that.
I'm three miles from WF and my drive to the RDU airport lot is 19 mins...hardly a consideration IMO.

Wake Forest is a great retirement town. Gettin' busy though.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Tough call, they're both great areas. Wake Forest just built new greenways, so that's an advantage over Brier Creek. Brier Creek gives you the easier access to Durham and the entire RTP area. Wake Forest has a nice downtown and has more of your nice boutique cafes and restaurants. Brier Creek is a bit more generic.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:13 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Wake forest/Heritage for sure. Beautiful rolling hills, no airport noise. Great Healthcare. Everything I need is on Rogers road including my vet, dermatology, hairstylist, amazing restaurants, grocery, pharmacy, doctor's office, dentist, etc. You can access the greenway from the new over 50 development on Rogers road. It's at the end of Marshall Farm street. The greenway is about 4 miles long now and it's an easy bike ride to Publix, coldstone, chronic tacos, and Rudinos from the greenway (all greenway and sidewalks... no road). You can also walk or bike to Wine 101 and Buku from that location again no roads... Residential sidewalks. Tons of town festivals and events. A real historic downtown with lots of shops and restaurants. Everything you need is in Wake Forest. I don't have to drive to Raleigh for any services. The Rex wellness center is catered towards retired. I've lived other places in the triangle and those areas felt spread out without a true identity. Wake Forest is not like that at all.
Wake Forest, especially Heritage, has my vote over Brier Creek (and my office is IN Brier Creek) for the reasons mjohnston has mentioned!

Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
I'm partial to BC. Wouldn't move to WF now....but I have my reasons. One of which is the commute, which isn't a factor if you're retired. BC is central to everything I want or need. I made that same decision 2 years ago and wouldn't change a thing.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
Both communities seem to have adequate amenities nearby, and both are about the same distance to Raleigh amenities and Falls Lake. Brier Creek would put us closer to more things to do/places to go in the triangle area, but the home prices are just a little higher vs Heritage. We want to be near lots of things to do, dining, shopping, live theatre and we want to be able to walk and bike nearby. Knee deep in online research this morning. Any differences in crime between the two? And anything about future development we should be aware of? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2018, 10:15 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Brier Creek gets my vote (and I'm retired living in Regency at BCCC) - and we moved here after never visiting, just like you. My reason for this is quite specific: We are just about dead in the middle of the Triangle. 25 minutes or less to downtown Durham or Raleigh, or Cary or Chapel Hill. (but I admit, the restaurant selection in the immediate area leaves something to be desired unless one wants fast casual or chain restaurants.)

Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM

174 posts, read 194,493 times
One minor consideration...NCDOT is planning on redoing Rte. 70 and some other local roads in the BC area over the next few years. None of us in the area are looking forward to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary