Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:18 PM

68 posts, read 134,086 times

Advertisements

My wife works in Durham and I work in Greensboro. We like Wake County but it's a bit far east for my commute to Greensboro. We also like Durham, but are told that the schools are questionable. Are there areas in Durham where schools are good? Additionally, is anyone familiar with neighborhoods/schools that are close to 64 West possibly between Pittsboro and Apex? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:36 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
Orange County section of Mebane. In the Orange County schools and about half-way for both of you. If the one who works in Greensboro doesn't mind more of a commute, Hillsborough.

And, yes, there are areas of Durham where the schools are good. If the one who works in Durham wants to be close by in case of something with the kids (like pick up for someone who is sick?) look for an area zoned for Jordan High School. For the commute to Greensboro, you don't want to get onto I-40 until 15-501 (exit 270) because heading west it backs up at this exit when it goes from three lanes to two.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:43 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
If one job is Durham and one is Greensboro, it makes 0 sense at all to live in Wake County. I would go for Mebane or Graham, maybe Hillsborough but that would be a bit far from Greensboro. I'm not familiar with schools because I don't have kids, but that is a silly question. Of course there are good schools in Durham. It's a city of 250,000 people with Duke University, North Carolina Central University, and Durham Technical Community College all in the city of Durham. If you live in south Durham, you will be 15 minutes from Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I don't need to tell you (hopefully) how good those 2 schools are. Education is huge here.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:02 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Lmao interested in Wake County but you guys work in Gboro and Durham.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 PM

71 posts, read 60,532 times
Durham is a gamble given the school situation. People are usually banking on getting into one of the good ones and then end up going the private route if that fails. Or at least that is what usually seems to be the case with those I know. Pittsboro is a great mid-point location if you like a quieter feel. I have family at Potterstone Village and they love it (with the caveat that they have no kids). And Pittsboro will really begin to boom soon. That said, that caveat is important. I don’t know how the schools are now. I know how they were in the 90s and it was not good. But things change so who knows. If Durham and Chatham were your two options, I’d probably go with which feels more comfortable for you, as I don’t think you can count on schools being a strong card for either.

If school is really important, Orange County would be your best bet to get you closer to Greensboro.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I would go for Mebane or Graham, maybe Hillsborough but that would be a bit far from Greensboro. I'm not familiar with schools because I don't have kids...
Mebane (mostly) and Graham are in Alamance County and schools there are not great. Hillsborough would be a better choice if you're interested in small town living. Orange County schools (Hillsborough) have a much better rep than Alamance-Burlington.

You can compare districts and individual schools on https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src , the state's school accountability website.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:29 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
If one job is Durham and one is Greensboro, it makes 0 sense at all to live in Wake County. I would go for Mebane or Graham, maybe Hillsborough but that would be a bit far from Greensboro. I'm not familiar with schools because I don't have kids, but that is a silly question. Of course there are good schools in Durham. It's a city of 250,000 people with Duke University, North Carolina Central University, and Durham Technical Community College all in the city of Durham. If you live in south Durham, you will be 15 minutes from Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I don't need to tell you (hopefully) how good those 2 schools are. Education is huge here.
OP means public, K-12 schools, not colleges.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:07 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDewey123 View Post
My wife works in Durham and I work in Greensboro. ...Additionally, is anyone familiar with neighborhoods/schools that are close to 64 West possibly between Pittsboro and Apex?
There are no schools between Apex and Pittsboro along the 64 corridor at this time as it is largely rural. That land is all Chatham County. Soon however development of the 7000 acre area known as Chatham Park will create a new and well-planned "community" with a work, live, play concept, roughly between 15/501 and the Haw River next to the town of Pittsboro. With an anticipated build out period of 20 yrs though, you might keep an eye on the area for the future but don't get too excited yet. There is also land set aside for an elementary school next to Jordan Lake. New communities with brand new schools tend to be modern and well run.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
I think the OP was referring to Durham public schools - not higher education.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
There are no schools between Apex and Pittsboro along the 64 corridor at this time as it is largely rural. That land is all Chatham County. Soon however development of the 7000 acre area known as Chatham Park will create a new and well-planned "community" with a work, live, play concept, roughly between 15/501 and the Haw River next to the town of Pittsboro. With an anticipated build out period of 20 yrs though, you might keep an eye on the area for the future but don't get too excited yet. There is also land set aside for an elementary school next to Jordan Lake. New communities with brand new schools tend to be modern and well run.
Not even counting Chatham Park, there is currently a lot of ongoing development in West Apex (Wake County) within the 64 corridor. Here's a screenshot of what is currently proposed and under construction between NC-540 and the County Line. There's only going to be even more in the coming few short years. In 15-20 years the 64 Corridor in Wake will be almost totally built out to the Chatham line and then Parts of Chatham Park within Chatham County will no doubt be online.
Attached Thumbnails
Living Between Greensboro and Raleigh-apex.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary