Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:22 PM

31 posts, read 34,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Hah, yes!!

As a runner nowadays, when I'm on the Neuse River Trailway I'm amazed by how brazen and impolite so many cyclists are to the slower traveling bi-peds. Many are great and call out left/right to alert me of their passing, which in turn inspires me to not wear headphones so I can adjust. However, there are so many that buzz me or ride 2-3 across and refuse to yield passage, thus forcing me to step off the trail. I don't get it, because they'd be the first to rightfully complain about how they're treated on roadways by motorized transport.

Do unto others my crazy, risk-taking cyclist friends.
I dislike that so many cyclists are using tri-bars, taking up the entire path, flying by people etc.. When I ride on the greenway I used to call out on your left when I passed walkers/joggers, but many people get confused and wind up going left! I found a bell or a good morning/afternoon works much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu-nc View Post
I think the two abreast approach works. I'd gotten used to that, but it seems it suddenly went from small packs of 4-6 riders to literally 50 or more riders in a pack. It's like driving behind the Tour de France at times. I assume the goal is to spread out on long stretches, but with multiple turns etc. through neighborhoods it becomes just a mass of bikes in the road.

I'm ok with being patient, it just seems like an extreme swing the other way for riders and is bound to create more frustration for motorists.

I'm sure there are plenty of riders who are courteous and safe so not blaming everyone.
Was this in North Raleigh? Sadly, there is a group that I rode with once that seemed to enjoy doing this despite many saying it's not a good idea. I was hoping they changed their ways. That I can understand being a dangerous annoyance.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM

119 posts, read 201,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
To the OP: I began a thread on this topic a few years ago that's maybe worth taking a look at: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...n-raleigh.html

One of the things I found was a good article that discusses several matters - specifically, the benefits (to both the cyclist and the motorist) of riding two abreast: Why Cyclists Ride Two Abreast

I'd highly recommend all drivers and cyclists read this webpage. It also does a good job of describing why large groups should break up into smaller-sized "platoons".
This is the best solution. A pack of 15 or more cyclists causes a lot of traffic issues. Smaller groups (more than 3-4 but less than 15) is much better for the cyclists and the drivers.

We each are legally allowed to operate on roadways, so let's just find a way to live together.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:50 PM

23 posts, read 78,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZA View Post
Was this in North Raleigh? Sadly, there is a group that I rode with once that seemed to enjoy doing this despite many saying it's not a good idea. I was hoping they changed their ways. That I can understand being a dangerous annoyance.
This is in West Cary in the Highcroft area. I do see some smaller groups as well, but also this huge pack. Can't tell if it's the same group each time or different ones. Everyone looks the same in their gear.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM

703 posts, read 780,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZA View Post
I think the OP was mostly referring to his experiences in W. Cary, and not N. Raleigh.

For me, my experiences in N. Raleigh (Mt. Vernon Church, Old Creedmoor/Carpenter Pond, Peed, Pleasant Union, etc.) have mostly been just fine, and the cyclists have mostly been in groups of 8 or less. In these cases, it's truly been a case of both motorists and cyclists "sharing the road" cooperatively. But on a couple of isolated occasions, I have run into a very large group of probably 24 or more riders that effectively act as a moving roadblock, and seem to be perfectly fine with themselves in doing so. The size of this group when riding two abreast is probably the size/length of at least two coach buses. Due to that size/length, there is just never going to be a point at which one can safely pass the entire pack. Long uphills at 6-7 mph can be pretty excruciating.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I think the OP was mostly referring to his experiences in W. Cary, and not N. Raleigh.

For me, my experiences in N. Raleigh (Mt. Vernon Church, Old Creedmoor/Carpenter Pond, Peed, Pleasant Union, etc.) have mostly been just fine, and the cyclists have mostly been in groups of 8 or less. In these cases, it's truly been a case of both motorists and cyclists "sharing the road" cooperatively. But on a couple of isolated occasions, I have run into a very large group of probably 24 or more riders that effectively act as a moving roadblock, and seem to be perfectly fine with themselves in doing so. The size of this group when riding two abreast is probably the size/length of at least two coach buses. Due to that size/length, there is just never going to be a point at which one can safely pass the entire pack. Long uphills at 6-7 mph can be pretty excruciating.
Ahh ok, was hoping it was just this particular group who was like that. In the case of the isolated incidents in N. Raleigh, some might be the Charity rides that happen out there. It can be difficult as early on it's just one long train of people until everyone finds their group that matches their ability.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
For those riding on busy roads - just remember even if something is "legal" that doesn't make it smart or safe. When playing chicken with another object that weighs several tons the cyclist will ultimately "lose" even if they are in the right.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,057 times
This is on Ghoston Road, how does one pass something spread out like this on a road like that? You can't because it's not safe to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Cycling pelotons on the road-bikes.jpg  

Old 04-18-2018, 02:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
This is on Ghoston Road, how does one pass something spread out like this on a road like that? You can't because it's not safe to do so.
You have it all wrong. Us drivers simply lack patience, and should be ok with these folks inconveniencing drivers to enjoy their leisure activity. Clearly your driving skill is subpar to not be able to navigate around them.

(I don't need a sarcasm tag to I? )

It's crazy that is legal but even so it's a total dick move.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You have it all wrong. Us drivers simply lack patience, and should be ok with these folks inconveniencing drivers to enjoy their leisure activity. Clearly your driving skill is subpar to not be able to navigate around them.

(I don't need a sarcasm tag to I? )

It's crazy that is legal but even so it's a total dick move.
You don't need it, I know I shouldn't be out driving at 9AM on a Saturday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary