Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:34 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times

Advertisements

So this is arguably a nationwide kind of question, but I am interested in the local flavor for these two places as I do believe there is a difference. Am thinking to make a banking switch and would appreciate local experiences for both or either of these.

There are indeed threads on this but things continue to change in the banking space so a new one wouldn't hurt. Part of my consideration for changing banks are things like lined card with international fees waived and mileage points, less banking charges and restrictions on accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:38 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
So this is arguably a nationwide kind of question, but I am interested in the local flavor for these two places as I do believe there is a difference. Am thinking to make a banking switch and would appreciate local experiences for both or either of these.

There are indeed threads on this but things continue to change in the banking space so a new one wouldn't hurt. Part of my consideration for changing banks are things like lined card with international fees waived and mileage points, less banking charges and restrictions on accounts.
Strike 1: Wells was just fined a Billion dollar fine for loan abuses.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:57 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Wells Fargo? Please say you are kidding?!?

For the inevitable community bank credit union pusher posts that are about to follow please look up cross collateralzation. It's a clause specific to credit unions. Personally I wouldn't do all my banking and loans at one for that one reason.

I would encourage you to look hard at BoA especially if you have a brokerage account with some assets elsewhere. If you have >$100k in a Merrill Edge brokerage or BoA account (or combined) you get unlimited no fee ATM withdrawals just like the internet banks but also get a local presence. Also you will get free $$ just for transferring in to Merrill Edge. Among other benefits a free safety deposit box etc. Just look up Bank of America preferred rewards.

With the platinum tier if you have their new rewards card you end up with 2.62% cash back on everything which is about as good as you can get.

However if you don't have much or are unwilling to transfer your brokerage for some reason I wouldn't recommend them as you are better off with an internet bank.

I would however not recommend "parking" cash at either as their interest rates are insanely low. To park cash look at Consumer Credit Union with rates up to 4.59% on up to $20k. With two accounts that is $40k of hidden money earning 4.59%...but does require some hoops to be jumped through.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Also if you travel a lot look at the Chase Sapphire line of cards.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
I can't rep you again, this is great stuff, exactly the kind of info I was hoping to see, thanks.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:14 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
I wouldn't touch either of them with a thousand foot pole. Bank with a credit union or community bank.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
other than greater ATM access for cash, I cannot see any reason to bank with either. And I was a banker at one of them.

I mean, you could make the mistake of getting your mortgage through them and be required to have at least one account, but otherwise, nope.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
Would definitely not recommend Wells Fargo. I’ve been thinking of moving my checking to Fidelity.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Credit union.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Love my chase sapphire reserve card for travel as wheelsup mentions. So definitely look at that if you like to travel! We do dual banking - some with BofA and some with SECU. We do the BofA primarily for travel and business reasons and the SECU for everything else. It’s easier to travel internationally with an account at a large bank in terms of withdrawing cash if you need to and it’s great for small business owners. But if you can get in a credit union the benefits there including any loans you need like mortgage or cars are usually better deals. But always, always, always compare your options. When we made our decision years ago I made a comparison spreadsheet to decide what our best choice was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary