Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times

Advertisements

He looks a lot like my dog too. She’s got some German short haired pointer in her I think but also black with the white blaze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 07:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Adopted a "partially blind", "6 year old" dog that turned out to be almost completely blind, and probably around 10 or 11 years old.

Love(d) all our dogs, but she's the best.

Would adopt another disabled animal without hesitation.
Love those 'happy accidents'. My second dog was supposedly dog centric but when she arrived, she became my girl, first and foremost. I didn't mind, and I really miss that terribly.

If you want to come meet Pepsi let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Not any time soon but sure I would.

Pepsi has something else in him because lab ears don’t stick out quite like that. Might be a little boxer in there too.

We volunteer at Paws4ever in Mebane and really enjoy it. It’s a great organization. Just keep taking photos and sharing them. I think it has really made a difference at P4e.
Now that you say Boxer, the ear shape seems suspect.

I thought he was still a Lab because my American Labrador girl would get that same look with the forehead crease and the big ears when I'd say things like "Do you want din din?" She had the biggest ears too, I loved it.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:29 PM

I don't really know. We just have a neighbor lab (my girl has a big crush on him) and he's a lot bulkier looking and more of a bull head.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
All animals need love and attention. If you have the love, time, and money? Why not?

Old 04-29-2018, 05:32 AM

I just checked the list and 9 dogs have been adopted since my last shift. That was only 2 days ago.

Pepsi is no longer listed as being available, or adopted. I don't know what that means. Maybe he's not available at all because he's having his first Heartworm treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't really know. We just have a neighbor lab (my girl has a big crush on him) and he's a lot bulkier looking and more of a bull head.
Probably an English Labrador. I have one of those too. They call them 'block heads'. Their coats are thicker and they have shorter thicker tails. I love both kinds of Labradors but I think we like the English type in the future, if we have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
All animals need love and attention. If you have the love, time, and money? Why not?
Maybe people just don't want the hassle, when there are other seemingly easier choices around? If even housetraining is a deterrent, I imagine vision problems or an illness in their history would be too. It wouldn't stop me, but that's why I'm asking the forum.

When I adopted my dog, I started hearing people say things like "You don't know their history" and "Adopted animals usually have problems"... I admit, I'd get a little irritated that people were insinuating that my dog was somehow broken, or not just as good as a puppy or a dog that's from a breeder.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:21 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I think that's the problem, people thnk a dog from a breeder is automatically going to be "good" in every way. In reality a dog who has spent time in a shelter will never forget what you did for them. I honestly wonder if we could ever get a better dog than the one we have now.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 AM

289 posts, read 489,769 times
One of the best dogs we ever had was also the most expensive, but we didn't know it at the beginning when we adopted her from a shelter. She ended up having to have hip surgery and having Addisons Disease ($100/mo for meds). We had her a long time, over 10 years, and loved her so much. Never regretted adopting her, but have been cautious since when adopting animals....

Old 04-29-2018, 10:25 AM

The animals at Paws4ever have all been spayed and neutered all ready. Health issues are known and treated (can't think of many, some of the cats have allergies and are on special diets). The animals are socialized and trained. We just did Jackson Galaxy's Cat Pawsitive program with the cats and taught many of them to high five and even jump through hoops. The dogs are trained also and assessed for how well they do with other animals and what kind of environment they need. I highly recommend adopting!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:49 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Maybe people just don't want the hassle, when there are other seemingly easier choices around? If even housetraining is a deterrent, I imagine vision problems or an illness in their history would be too. It wouldn't stop me, but that's why I'm asking the forum.
I'll be honest and say that given there is no shortage of dogs without health problems that are in need of adoption, I would probably steer away from a dog that I knew right off the bat would require extra work and expense. I mean, I get that it is sad for dogs with health problems or are older that they have a reduced chance of getting adopted, but unfortunately if it's not them that ends up getting put down, it will be some other dog that doesn't deserve that either. I want to be clear though, that if I adopted a dog and a day or month later he started having problems I would stick with him.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
I'll be honest and say that given there is no shortage of dogs without health problems that are in need of adoption, I would probably steer away from a dog that I knew right off the bat would require extra work and expense. I mean, I get that it is sad for dogs with health problems or are older that they have a reduced chance of getting adopted, but unfortunately if it's not them that ends up getting put down, it will be some other dog that doesn't deserve that either. I want to be clear though, that if I adopted a dog and a day or month later he started having problems I would stick with him.
I understand what you're saying. There's been at least 18 dogs at the SPCA since I started volunteering there (not including the puppy area) so there are lots of choices.

Have you ever adopted an animal before and had to deal with a health problem later? If you really liked a dog that was perfect other than being Heartworm positive (that would be cured by the SPCA), would you consider it?

Sorry about the questions, I'm just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: