Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 37,892 times

Advertisements

Hi

About 4 months ago my family and I relocated from Australia to the triangle for work. My parents (from Australia) are visiting here in a weeks time so I would appreciate any suggestions on 'things to do and see' while they are here. We are still getting used to the area so any suggestions would be a great help.

TIA
SunnyCoast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM

55 posts, read 175,657 times
Wow, I'm sure it will be hard to beat Australia! But you could try hiking some hiking trails in Umstead or the Eno River. They're pretty scenic and peaceful.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
My sister has Aussie friends who come to NC to visit ever so often, and this last trip, she made a point to take the family to the restaurant, The Outback. The Aussies never laughed so hard, and had great fun telling the staff everything they were 'doing wrong.' Your parents might get a kick out of it, too.

SunnyCoast, if you can afford the time, a trip to Washington, DC, would be worth the effort. You could all take Amtrak to one of the outlying areas (my husband and I really like Alexandria, VA), and then take the METRO into DC each day. Most hotels will drive you to the METRO, and the METRO goes anywhere in DC you'd care to see. It'd make for a lovely long weekend, but I'd only pick one or two things to see each day -- you'll see more of it, and won't wear yourselves out trying to see everything.

The first trip I ever made to DC, I took one of the tour buses around the city, just to get a feel for the place, and to make a list of places I wanted to go back and see. A night cruise on the Potomac is also very lovely.

Most foreigners who come to visit seem to enjoy seeing our nation's Capitol.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:06 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,735 times
The Biltmore and the Blueridge Parkway are well worth the trip.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:10 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,515 times
There are 3-4 museums in downtown Raliegh and Durham. You can go to wilmington / carolina beach / myrtle beach. Or you can go to Ashville.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 AM

45 posts, read 150,817 times
The mountains or the coast, we have it all here. The Azalea Festival in Wilmington is coming up soon, the azaleas are usually spectacular this time of the year. Check out the website, Welcome to the North Carolina Azalea Festival Official Website. Have fun!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
I've taken English friends to Bennett Place in Durham, and they found it fascinating.
Bennett Place

For general history, the Museum of History in Raleigh is worth a visit.

For local "culture" the Flea Market in Raleigh at the fairgrounds . It is only on weekends. Local farmer's markets are also fun.

The Art Museum is very nice, especially the sculpture walk outside. Don't miss the cloud chamber!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
Maybe I'm quite simple in my tastes, but I love to take visitors to the Farmers Market.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
I've got some ideas for you.

Downtown Raleigh

Big Ed's for breakfast. Its located off of Moore Square so you can hit the downtown museums afterward. Make sure they try the grits with red-eye gravy.

The Raleigh Trolley. This is free and it makes the rounds to all of the historic sites and museums in downtown Raleigh. Be sure to go to Mordecai. You can pick up the Trolley from Moore Square after you have breakfast at Big Ed's. :-)

Durham

Duke Homestead/Tobacco Musuem Home Page We've taken our families there and its very fascinating. Tobacco is such a huge part of NC's history and it was interesting to learn about it.

Stagville Plantation http://www.historicstagvillefoundation.org/
Pre-Civil War plantation and slave quarters. This was particularly interesting to me since my image of plantations was that they were all HUGE like we see in the movies (i.e., Gone With the Wind). NC was relatively poor compared to the other southern states so that wasn't the case here.

Duke Chapel and the surrounding campus. Beautiful Gothic architecture and you can see what all that tobacco money paid for. :-)

Sarah Duke Gardens. Located on campus--very beautiful.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Forgot something else--take them out to eat some Eastern Carolina style BBQ. Clyde Cooper's downtown is good or if you're in the Chapel Hill area you can try Allen & Sons.

I also really like to go to Big Ed's or The Farmer's Market Restaurant for lunch. Especially chicken & dumplings. Mmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary