Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 8,697 times

Advertisements

I am living in a townhouse in Cary with HOA. We have really serious problems that neighbor children playing in our driveway and use chalk writing dirty words on it. I am wondering if a No Trespassing sign will work?

It is a townhouse so no fence and based on the deed I only own half of the driveway. Not sure this will make any sense and if HOA can prohibit me doing so.

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 10:11 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I don't really think a No Trespassing sign will deter children from doing something.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it a "really serious" problem. It's not irreparable damage. It's annoying, but it's pretty minor. A few seconds with a hose and spray nozzle will remedy the problem.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:20 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Have you tried nicely talking to your neighbors and asking that their kids stay off your driveway and don't write dirty words there?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
"really serious problem". LOL

Old 05-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't really think a No Trespassing sign will deter children from doing something.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it a "really serious" problem. It's not irreparable damage. It's annoying, but it's pretty minor. A few seconds with a hose and spray nozzle will remedy the problem.
Thanks. It is a serious issue for me because first, it is not the first time after we talk to their parents, and their parents even not trying to stop them. Second, it is not some drawing, it is dirty words like "fart", "I hate you", "dick" and even F-word. Even though I am not sure if kids mean to say this to us, it is still humiliating.

Also, the clean-up is not that easy. Even after the rain it still needs my wife a couple of hours to wipe them away. It is not a blackboard which can be erased easily.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Have you tried nicely talking to your neighbors and asking that their kids stay off your driveway and don't write dirty words there?
I did, but it does not work very well, as mentioned above. The worse thing is their parents won't stop them even they see it. I see once a boy parent is standing there watching him writing on our driveway.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
It is unlikely they are saying these words to you or about you. They are just showing off to the world that they know cool words!

It's your driveway, so why not go out and talk to the kids? You can be a friendly neighbor which might make them realize that writing their dirty words in your driveway is stupid. You can be a friendly neighbor and directly ask the children not to write dirty words in your driveway. Or you can be a cranky neighbor and tell them sternly. Options!

You can also take photos of the drawing/writing and share them with the parents and/or the HOA.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:38 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_0930 View Post
Thanks. It is a serious issue for me because first, it is not the first time after we talk to their parents, and their parents even not trying to stop them. Second, it is not some drawing, it is dirty words like "fart", "I hate you", "dick" and even F-word. Even though I am not sure if kids mean to say this to us, it is still humiliating.

Also, the clean-up is not that easy. Even after the rain it still needs my wife a couple of hours to wipe them away. It is not a blackboard which can be erased easily.
It's not going to wipe away like a chalkboard. That's why it's taking her a couple of hours. Seriously, a garden hose with a spray nozzle (set on the power spray setting) will do the trick.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
It is unlikely they are saying these words to you or about you. They are just showing off to the world that they know cool words!

It's your driveway, so why not go out and talk to the kids? You can be a friendly neighbor which might make them realize that writing their dirty words in your driveway is stupid. You can be a friendly neighbor and directly ask the children not to write dirty words in your driveway. Or you can be a cranky neighbor and tell them sternly. Options!

You can also take photos of the drawing/writing and share them with the parents and/or the HOA.
Thank you. I already talk to their parents as mentioned above. I also tried to show pictures to the whole HOA but neither works well. Their parents' ignorance is actually the reason I have to try something like this.

In other words, I am not pissed off by the kids. I am more unhappy about the adults aren't even trying to correct them.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
"really serious problem". LOL
I think you would agree with me once someone writes F in your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary