Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM

66 posts, read 77,367 times

Advertisements

We're considering temporarily moving out of state but want to hold on to our home for when we return.
Just wondering what is the home rental market like in Cary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
A lot depends on the part of Cary. West Cary rental market is likely hotter than East.

Either way I don't think you'd have any issues renting it. But....good luck.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
A lot depends on the part of Cary. West Cary rental market is likely hotter than East.

Either way I don't think you'd have any issues renting it. But....good luck.
Thanks for the info!
We're in MacArthur Park, so not quite West Cary (by today's standards at least). It does seem like the market is better for townhomes and in West-Cary/closer to RTP. So its not filling me with confidence right now

Old 05-17-2018, 07:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeCatcher View Post
Thanks for the info!
We're in MacArthur Park, so not quite West Cary (by today's standards at least). It does seem like the market is better for townhomes and in West-Cary/closer to RTP. So its not filling me with confidence right now
If you're in the Davis Drive schools section of MacArthur (I think it's split), then definitely no problem. Either way I don't think it would be a problem though.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If you're in the Davis Drive section of MacArthur (I think it's split), then definitely no problem. Either way I don't think it would be a problem though.
We're not on that side of MacArthur, but here's hoping we don't run into trouble regardless

Old 05-17-2018, 10:05 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,446 times
As someone who just secured a rental home, it seems to be pretty active. 4 of the 8 rentals on our showing list rented in the 48 hrs before we even got to see them. These were in Alston Ridge, Highcroft, and Turner Creek elementary zones.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:04 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
MacArthur Park...

Easy to rent. Location. Schools. Pleasant neighborhoods.

Don't expect to get 1% of the home's value monthly like many landlords expect.
.5% to .66% is more typical according to rental listings on MLS.

$390,000 tax value and $2000 rent is not uncommon.

Then, allow for a property manager at 8% to 10% of your monthly rent. I would suggest you not manage a rental remotely, unless you have other good local support.

If the balance covers your mortgage, taxes, insurance, repairs, and any vacancy(no rental income) or at least gets you close enough that you can handle the shortfall comfortably, the rental market is very good.
MLS says that MacArthur Park rental listings have been filled in 2-3 weeks over the last two years. And, that 2-3 weeks may have been well within the typical 60 days notice a tenant will give landlord. I.e., no lost months' rent.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:04 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Quote:
We're considering temporarily moving out of state but want to hold on to our home for when we return.
Just wondering what is the home rental market like in Cary?
It's a very poor idea to be an out of state landlord.

Even with a management company, you could take a big hit from a bad tenant.

My FIL was a superintendent and I helped him fix the disasters left when tenants skipped out.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
MacArthur Park...

Easy to rent. Location. Schools. Pleasant neighborhoods.

Don't expect to get 1% of the home's value monthly like many landlords expect.
.5% to .66% is more typical according to rental listings on MLS.

$390,000 tax value and $2000 rent is not uncommon.

Then, allow for a property manager at 8% to 10% of your monthly rent. I would suggest you not manage a rental remotely, unless you have other good local support.

If the balance covers your mortgage, taxes, insurance, repairs, and any vacancy(no rental income) or at least gets you close enough that you can handle the shortfall comfortably, the rental market is very good.
MLS says that MacArthur Park rental listings have been filled in 2-3 weeks over the last two years. And, that 2-3 weeks may have been well within the typical 60 days notice a tenant will give landlord. I.e., no lost months' rent.
Thanks Mike useful information as always!
.5% would probably work for us, .66% would be great. We really don't want to sell, already priced out of this part of Cary and can only imagine it will be worse if we move and return.

Any recommendations on property management companies locally?

Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Thanks Mike useful information as always!
.5% would probably work for us, .66% would be great. We really don't want to sell, already priced out of this part of Cary and can only imagine it will be worse if we move and return.

Any recommendations on property management companies locally?
You have a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary