Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 12:59 PM

9,159 posts, read 14,856,454 times

Advertisements

There are days I have one home inspection in Knightdale or somewhere north of that, and another in Holly Springs. When it’s finally opened, it will probably save me 20 plus minutes on certain trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 02:54 PM

879 posts, read 1,034,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I live in West Cary, maybe two miles from a 540 entrance, and 100% will pay to take 540 to 40 to go to the beach....just driving across town to get on 40 takes 10-15 minutes, plus the whole ride along the Southern edge of Raleigh....no thanks, will gladly pay a toll.
Concur with you 100%, Twingles. In south Durham here, and if I'm going to the beach, particularly on a Friday, it's pretty much a parking lot from the Streets at Southpoint to Wade Avenue followed by other stretches of I-40 south of Raleigh. And if it's raining or there's an accident, add on another 15 to 20 minutes at least. In contrast, I should be able to get onto 540 and back on 40 around the Johnston County line in less than 30 minutes. It's going to be a real time saver for me and worth the $10-$15 or so I'll have to pay to use it just for saving me from the headaches of what's available with 40 now.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:24 PM

478 posts, read 711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You should contact NCDOT and get them to retime the light.
Good point. What happens there sometimes is the cars back up from another light down stream so only a few cars can turn left. Then there's a flashing yellow turn light but so many cars are coming the other way nobody can go.

Fortunately I only drive that way maybe 1-2 days a month, so I'll just deal with it .

Old 05-17-2024, 09:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 3,982,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Good point. What happens there sometimes is the cars back up from another light down stream so only a few cars can turn left. Then there's a flashing yellow turn light but so many cars are coming the other way nobody can go.

Fortunately I only drive that way maybe 1-2 days a month, so I'll just deal with it .
Wouldn't it feel good to improve the lives of thousands of motorists every day with 5 minutes of effort?

Here's the simple form:

https://www.ncdot.gov/contact/Pages/...eUrl=/contact/

Old 05-18-2024, 10:06 PM

371 posts, read 302,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Wouldn't it feel good to improve the lives of thousands of motorists every day with 5 minutes of effort?

Here's the simple form:

https://www.ncdot.gov/contact/Pages/...eUrl=/contact/

Just remember that the time given to help that issue has to come from another movement/phase, so it may be more than 5 minutes of effort to re-optimize the intersection.

I thought it was a right from NB Cleveland to 42 (and then to 40) that’s the heavy move (and the reverse in the evening). If you’re coming south on Cleveland, I doubt time will be pulled from the heavier movements to help that lesser move.

Old 05-19-2024, 08:14 AM

478 posts, read 711,454 times
Yes that's right, sorry for any confusion--southbound turning left on 42 and northbound turning right are the heavy moves - basically turning into Clayton. One way around it going southbound is to get onto Glen Road and go to the next light, but recently that intersection was closed.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:58 AM

7,202 posts, read 6,913,410 times
A groundbreaking ceremony on the final section was held.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...plete-540.aspx

Old 05-21-2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
Just remember that the time given to help that issue has to come from another movement/phase, so it may be more than 5 minutes of effort to re-optimize the intersection.

I thought it was a right from NB Cleveland to 42 (and then to 40) that’s the heavy move (and the reverse in the evening). If you’re coming south on Cleveland, I doubt time will be pulled from the heavier movements to help that lesser move.
I was referring to 5 minutes of your time alerting NCDOT about your observation of imperfect signal timing.

I noticed one morning in Downtown Atlanta that 2 intersections very close together never were green at the same time. It felt good to have the traffic engineers call me and then fix the problem which improved the lives of thousands of motorists every day.

Old 05-21-2024, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Concur with you 100%, Twingles. In south Durham here, and if I'm going to the beach, particularly on a Friday, it's pretty much a parking lot from the Streets at Southpoint to Wade Avenue followed by other stretches of I-40 south of Raleigh. And if it's raining or there's an accident, add on another 15 to 20 minutes at least. In contrast, I should be able to get onto 540 and back on 40 around the Johnston County line in less than 30 minutes. It's going to be a real time saver for me and worth the $10-$15 or so I'll have to pay to use it just for saving me from the headaches of what's available with 40 now.
I don't think the toll is anywhere near that high, especially if you get a transponder.

Old 05-21-2024, 04:10 AM

4,333 posts, read 6,035,948 times
It’s likely to be in the range of $8 to travel the full length one way with a transponder. The toll for the current full length is $3.94 for ~18 miles and the new segment will be of nearly equal length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary