Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Raleigh/Knightdale. Family of 4-2 of which are children ages 7mo. and 7yrs. Need info. on school system, and/or good/bad areas of Raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
You will find much info to get ya started by using the search tool.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Knightdale has always been more of a blue collar area. With the new section of 540 opening, it is finally growing! With growth, comes more diversity. Its viewed as a good thing, more growth equals more shopping, better schools, etc.

Vicki

Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 PM

245 posts, read 809,393 times
Lock your doors.

Just kidding, I'm sure it's not that bad. But do your research carefully. We moved down here from CT in 2005. I wanted to live anywhere but the cliched town of Cary, but I am really glad we're here. The transition was EASY and really wonderful. I have heard of many transplants that got excited about new developments, prices, locations on the map, and then were miserable living in Efland, Clayton, Holly Springs, and Knightdale. Not to mention my friend's husband who wanted to buy a house in Durham for $60k! "But it looks like it's so close to Duke! How bad could it be?" You get what you pay for. And my husband and I are not snobs, we moved here from Middletown CT... DOWNTOWN Middletown!

Knightdale does objectively seem to have a lot of promise, just be sure to spend some time there, maybe rent if you do move down, after all there are a lot of new neighborhoods, and if you found a nice house with nice neighbors and a decent school, then you'll probably be happy anywhere!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 132,372 times
I didn't like Knightdale. It didn't feel complete to me or something. I grew up in upstate NY and have been living in Orlando for the past 4 years. We just bought a house 2 weeks ago in Riverwood (clayton). We opted for the smaller house in the better community. We have a son, 18 months, and I wanted a place where he would have fun growing up. The amenities are so close to us I don't think he will be bored. At least not for a while

Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 AM

38 posts, read 132,372 times
Another thing.....it really depends on what your price range is in buying a house. Cary seems like a cool, hip area, but the real estate was too high for us. Garner had some great price houses, but the high crime area wasn't too far away. Knightdale also had some big houses with great prices, but the area just didn't seem like a good match for what we were looking for. Holly Springs has a lot of older homes (around 150K), but no garages. Fuquay Varina seemed out in the middle of no where to me. Didn't try Wendell, but heard it's nice, but very country. I tried the cleveland area of clayton and there was quite a bit of traffic. Our price range was b/w 145K and 160K. We spent three full days looking. If you are looking for a house in the similar price range then you can email me and I'll give you more details if you'd like.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Wendell is like an old town in the 1950's. Really friendly people and slower pace than Raleigh.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Wendell is like an old town in the 1950's. Really friendly people and slower pace than Raleigh.
I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing, but to those of you who think Wendell is not experiencing growth you might want to read about this:

newsobserver.com | Little Wendell growing fast (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/989131.html - broken link)

"Wendell Falls, with 4,000 homes and about 10,000 residents, in six or seven years. That would triple the size of Wendell, which now has almost 5,000 residents. The town has annexed Wendell Falls."

Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
Exclamation Just fair warning

It has been a long while since I have looked for housing. I was approved, and suddenly unapproved for a house in the Knightdale area. We are a mixed race couple, and this is a more "country" area. If you are of "color" check out the neighborhood well, before you sign. I surely did not think folks still thought this way but, guess they do. Oh well their loss.....

Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
My part of North Raleigh would welcome you.

Try Brentwood. Very convenient. Very diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary