Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Luv4horses brought up some excellent suggestions. I'll reiterate one.

Getting that Canine Good Citizen certificate (CGC) is a better idea than most people realize. Whether the dog is a restricted breed or not, the training behind the CGC assures that they are safe with dogs and people when leashed. No pulling, no craziness, no misbehavior in public. THAT is the major value of CGC training. Obedience outside the home, which is safer for your dog, other dogs, and reassuring to your neighbors. Nobody wants to see an out of control dog regardless of breed, even on a leash.

We do home exchanges and have had the need to rent. We travel and stay in hotels. In ALL those situations, we have found accommodations that have removed the No Pet policy when I told them out dog was CGC certified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:09 AM

28 posts, read 51,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
Greetings everyone. Long time reader first time poster.

I'm a long time (reluctant) NC resident. I've lived here off and on for 5 or 6 of the last 10 years.

Right now I'm looking to move/rent in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville area. I'm noticing the area is kind of anti-pet and very breed restrictive (I own a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or what the ignorant call a "pitbull").

Does anyone know of pet friendly cities/suburbs/areas in or surrounding Raleigh/Durham that doesn't come as a package deal with bad schools?
My best advice is to find an area with reasonably behaved PEOPLE, get out ahead of any grumblings by introducing your dog to the neighbors and explaining the breed. We have a staffie two doors down from us. He is never on a leash, doesn't need to be. He's perfectly trained, perfectly friendly, and everyone knows him by name because as a puppy, his daddy brought him door-to-door to introduce him to everyone. I used to work at a dog kennel in high school so I was already familiar with the breed.

The best thing you can do is pick an area with responsible pet owners and then just be one yourself. Cary is fairly unfriendly toward dogs, I agree. I remember years ago they passed a city ordinance restricting even the number of dogs to two (because several Cary hausfraus were running puppy mills out of their garages).

The city may have rescinded that ordinance these days, but I've noticed anti-dog sentiment is still pretty rife whenever I'm in town visiting friends.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:15 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_City_Mom View Post
My best advice is to find an area with reasonably behaved PEOPLE, get out ahead of any grumblings by introducing your dog to the neighbors and explaining the breed. We have a staffie two doors down from us. He is never on a leash, doesn't need to be. He's perfectly trained, perfectly friendly, and everyone knows him by name because as a puppy, his daddy brought him door-to-door to introduce him to everyone. I used to work at a dog kennel in high school so I was already familiar with the breed.
I don't want to be the all high and mighty dog guy, but dogs should always be on leash, especially dogs that are bred to be dog aggressive. Just because your own dog may be well behaved, doesn't mean other dogs it encounters are. Also, pits are not predictable, no matter how well behaved they may be the majority of the time.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:18 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
And technically, all dogs need to be on leash because that's it's the law.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:43 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
231 homes, probably in his budget that allowed dogs were rented in the last 6 months in the "Cary/Morrisville/Apex" area. The average rent was $1,150/mo though.

If he wanted to buy, 290 homes sold that fit a general similar criteria. Of course, I don't know what's meant by "bad schools", but this was about a dog, not his children.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 2,726 times
Well this thing really took off.

I'll address some of the comments/questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertfordshire
Curious ... why do you think the area is anti-pet or breed restrictive? I don't get that impression at all, so I'm curious what your experience has been.
I'm basing this off the places I've contacted in Cary, Morrisville, and Apex yesterday. The Cary places had size linits (usually around 20lbs). The Morrisville and Apex areas had a combination of size and breed restrictions. One real estate agent even said Cary residents are allowed to have no more than 2 pets. That's not something I've ever heard before, and I've lived all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378
And by calling people who call a spade a spade ignorant, it seems like you're just looking for an argument.
The word "ignorant" as defined by dictionary.com means "lacking knowledge or awareness in general". Many people are ignorant about certain dog breeds (you indeed appear to be ignorant as well). It's not an insult but an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960
Why do people continue to live in an area they don't like? I just don't get that. A all.
Im not sure where you got that from. I have never lived in the RTP area. I own a house in Richlands, NC and currently live near New Bern, NC. I didn't say I don't like NC. I said I live here reluctantly because I've never CHOSE to live here.

Why do I live in NC? Because I signed a few contracts swearing to the Marine Corps that I will go anywhere I'm ordered to. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh Sentinel
First you mention that you don’t seem to like living here.
That's erroneous. I never said I don't like living there. I've never lived there. I have a chance to relocate to any place in the world and I'm choosing to move to Raleigh/Durham area.

Quote:
Then you call a lot of folks ignorant.
A lot of folks are ignorant to different breeds of animals. If someone takes that as an insult they must be ignorant to what the word "ignorant" means. You all are acting like I'm going around calling people "stupid" or something. I think some of you should take a step back and read my post from a non-emotional perch. I didn't come here to fight with y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin
Cary, Apex, and Morrisville.

Those would be pet-friendly suburbs with good schools. And no breed restrictions.
Thank you for a normal reply! Those areas were indeed my first choice. I've majorly struck out with them though. Cary in particular has some really peculiar rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses
Some things you might do is rent from a private party rather than a big management group.
Thank you for the suggestion. That's actually what we've started to do today. Results are still iffy but I think we're getting some good leads.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Luv4horses brought up some excellent suggestions. I'll reiterate one.

Getting that Canine Good Citizen certificate (CGC) is a better idea than most people realize. Whether the dog is a restricted breed or not, the training behind the CGC assures that they are safe with dogs and people when leashed. No pulling, no craziness, no misbehavior in public. THAT is the major value of CGC training. Obedience outside the home, which is safer for your dog, other dogs, and reassuring to your neighbors. Nobody wants to see an out of control dog regardless of breed, even on a leash.

We do home exchanges and have had the need to rent. We travel and stay in hotels. In ALL those situations, we have found accommodations that have removed the No Pet policy when I told them out dog was CGC certified.
That sounds like a great idea if someone is able to get their foot in the door. Once these people hear that we have a 40lb Staffordshire Bull terrier they do some googling, look at the pictures (I'm assuming) and return to the phone to say "no pitbulls!"

Last edited by Kamauxx; 06-26-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
231 homes, probably in his budget that allowed dogs were rented in the last 6 months in the "Cary/Morrisville/Apex" area. The average rent was $1,150/mo though.

If he wanted to buy, 290 homes sold that fit a general similar criteria. Of course, I don't know what's meant by "bad schools", but this was about a dog, not his children.

My budget is <$1700 a month.

If those 231 homes allow dogs they must have breed/weight restrictions. Or my luck/timing is horrible.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:12 AM

5,871 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
. One real estate agent even said Cary residents are allowed to have no more than 2 pets. That's not something I've ever heard before, and I've lived all over the world.

At one time, Cary did have a limit of 2 dogs per household, but they removed that restriction about 10-15 years ago.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Cary has not had that law since 2001.

These days the town is pretty dog friendly. Any time I go downtown, I see so many great dogs hanging out with their owner at the likes of Bond Brothers or Pharmacy. The Godbold park, Bond Lake, various greenways, etc. all have so many dogs any time I visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary