Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:14 PM

28 posts, read 51,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't want to be the all high and mighty dog guy, but dogs should always be on leash, especially dogs that are bred to be dog aggressive. Just because your own dog may be well behaved, doesn't mean other dogs it encounters are. Also, pits are not predictable, no matter how well behaved they may be the majority of the time.
Staffordshire terriers are not pits. And you just proved OP's point about ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 01:36 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_City_Mom View Post
Staffordshire terriers are not pits. And you just proved OP's point about ignorance.
Dogs in a public place should be on a leash, or otherwise restrained, NO MATTER how well behaved they are. You just proved the same point.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_City_Mom View Post

The AKC would disagree with you:

Quote:
History
The story of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a relatively brief one in the grand scheme of canine history, but it can be confused by the several different names hung on the breed at various times. The Bull-and-Terrier, the Patched Fighting Terrier, the Staffordshire Pit-dog, and the Brindle Bull are a few of the Staffie’s historical aliases.

Staffies are among the AKC terriers, such as the Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier, classified as “bull types.” All have a similar backstory. A few centuries ago, in the days when betting on the outcome of dog-oriented blood sports was all the rage in England, gamblers bred ferocious dogs to excel in these ghastly affairs. The granddaddy of these breeds was the Bulldog, created for the horrifying spectacle of bull-baiting.
https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/staff...-bull-terrier/

Staffordshire Terrier is a breed - pit bull is not. Pit Bull is a general term used to describe multiple breeds. It doesn't matter what they're called. Dogs that were bred to fight are not predictable.

The reality is, no dog is predictable and the responsible thing to do in a populated area is leash them.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
My budget is <$1700 a month.

If those 231 homes allow dogs they must have breed/weight restrictions. Or my luck/timing is horrible.
lord only knows why "under $1K preferably, up to 1200". Go up to $1,700 and there WERE 1003 homes rented in the last 6 months. At this moment, they are all gone.

It is important to know that searching any MLS-based database is only going to yield a minority % of the actual homes rented/available. I suggest hotpads as the best place.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
OP, I think that you may just not be looking in the right place because Cary really does have plenty of dogs and I do see those that a typical person would categorize as "of the pit bull variety" (meaning, of similar appearance/size/etc) in Cary. Plenty of them.

I doubt all these people own homes, so there have to be rentals out there. And, there aren't any rules in Cary re: number of dogs in a house, though I'm sure landlords for rentals would have rules of their own.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
http://www.wakegov.com/pets/adoption...sing_guide.pdf

This list isn't completely up to date but it might give you a few more options.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:43 AM

28 posts, read 51,169 times
Quote:

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/staff...-bull-terrier/

Staffordshire Terrier is a breed - pit bull is not. Pit Bull is a general term used to describe multiple breeds. It doesn't matter what they're called. Dogs that were bred to fight are not predictable.

The reality is, no dog is predictable and the responsible thing to do in a populated area is leash them.
Reality seems to disagree with you.

Probably on a regular basis.

I don't hassle my neighbors over their very well-trained dog. I guess that's what we refer to as a "Pet-friendly" neighborhood.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:

Pits are a recognized breed by some organizations

"The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a purebred dog breed recognized by the United Kennel Club and American Dog Breeders Association."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier

https://www.ukcdogs.com/american-pit-bull-terrier

Old 06-27-2018, 06:35 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:

It's not only the responsible thing to do. It's the legal thing to do. It's the safe thing to do for your beloved pet. It's the courteous thing to do - especially for those people who are afraid of dogs and small children. (For many years, I was phobically afraid of dogs. Even an off leash tea cup poodle sent me into a panic.)

Old 06-27-2018, 06:39 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,340,968 times
Yes, I agree with some of the posters that the OP must be looking in the wrong places or something. I have lived in Cary for decades. I remember that old law of 2 dogs, but I think it has been changed as posters have mentioned. It seems like every restaurant in Cary that has an outside patio, allows dogs on the patio. There is also at least 1 dog park in Cary.

I think that if you're renting then you're at the mercy of the rental management company. I would think private renters might have more of a problem with breeds than large rental companies. It looks like some disagree with me on that.

I know that your dog is not a pit bull, but I can see why people just looking at the dog might have an issue. Do you have papers indicating its breed? If so, then I don't know why there would be a problem. There is a leash law in Wake County - doesn't matter the breed.

Anyway, I am an avid outdoor runner. I see lots of dogs that I think are pit or some kind of mix. They're not the ones that I'm weary of. It's the little ones - the cute little yappy ones - those are the ones that have bitten me!

Good luck OP!

Last edited by Extraction; 06-27-2018 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary