Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Language credits taken in middle school do count on college applications. You don't get actual college credit for courses unless you take AP/IB courses (and score well on the exam) or do dual enrollment at community college, etc. My kids have taken high school level Spanish classes in middle school (Spanish 1 and 2) and my youngest has entered high school being able to take Spanish 3 (actually they wanted her to take High School Honors Spanish 3 in middle school, but we talked them into letting her take Theater instead).

I don't think the Montessori transition will be a thing you need to worry greatly about. Kids are pretty adaptable, and I say that as a parent of one that has some pretty big challenges in that regard. We have been in a hippie private school (Reggio Emilia/constructivist influence), traditional public school, and transitioning charter school (started kinda groovy and got more traditional as it went on), homeschooled, and dual enrollment in community college. The kids are usually fine as long as they find friends. That's the main thing IME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:59 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is it weird that I just want my kids to graduate high school and go to college if they choose?
My hometown newspaper did a feature this year checking back on high school valedictorians 10 years later. Most of these kids went off to college after being slotted into these classes for their whole lives and are doing nothing related to any of these classes. And there's nothing wrong with that....but it's like after lifting their heads out of the books for the first time in 16 years they realize there's a world out there to explore.

I have a co worker who told me when her kids were in HS she checked power school every Friday, all "A"s, everything is good, less than an "A" there is trouble at home. Both kids went to the holy grail, Chapel Hill, and are working in nice but ho-hum jobs now. I guess I just don't always understand the endgame. My DS is a rising senior and he's come to his own conclusions about how hard he needs to work (hopefully not too late HA HA) and he's really being thoughtful about his future. I can live with him not going to an Ivy League school because I know he's making every effort to make a plan and do what makes him happy and can support him.

So yeah, I'm with you.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 AM

45 posts, read 60,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Language credits taken in middle school do count on college applications. You don't get actual college credit for courses unless you take AP/IB courses (and score well on the exam) or do dual enrollment at community college, etc. My kids have taken high school level Spanish classes in middle school (Spanish 1 and 2) and my youngest has entered high school being able to take Spanish 3 (actually they wanted her to take High School Honors Spanish 3 in middle school, but we talked them into letting her take Theater instead).

I don't think the Montessori transition will be a thing you need to worry greatly about. Kids are pretty adaptable, and I say that as a parent of one that has some pretty big challenges in that regard. We have been in a hippie private school (Reggio Emilia/constructivist influence), traditional public school, and transitioning charter school (started kinda groovy and got more traditional as it went on), homeschooled, and dual enrollment in community college. The kids are usually fine as long as they find friends. That's the main thing IME.

Okay, MS credits can be used to collage applications . Thanks pd.

@twingles that is what I meant , sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:36 AM

45 posts, read 60,002 times
WOW this thread has lot of information, you guys really rock and ofcourse city-data rocks..Thanks all .

Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM

119 posts, read 90,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think the diversity comparison was between Enloe and PCHS as opposed to GH and PCHS. GH and PCHS are similar.
Actually, I was responding to roscomac, who wrote that "Panther Creek is much more diverse than Green Hope." My apologies for not being clear. Yes, they are demonstrably similar.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstar View Post
Okay, MS credits can be used to collage applications . Thanks pd.

@twingles that is what I meant , sorry for the confusion.
It also depends on the school district that you are in. For example, in our school district (Chapel Hill-Carrboro), my kids can take high school-level classes like French 1, French 2, and Algebra 1, etc. while they are in middle school, but they only get CREDIT on their high school transcript for these courses. So it shows up that they took these classes, but the grades that they received in middle school do not count toward their high school GPA.

In our former school district (in Virginia), if you take a high school-level class in middle school, the CREDIT and GRADE go onto your high school transcript and grade is factored into student's high school GPA. In that case, these middle school classes are more relevant to college applications (since GPA is obviously a big factor) than just receiving the credit for the course.

You should look into how Wake County School District does it, as I have no idea.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It also depends on the school district that you are in. For example, in our school district (Chapel Hill-Carrboro), my kids can take high school-level classes like French 1, French 2, and Algebra 1, etc. while they are in middle school, but they only get CREDIT on their high school transcript for these courses. So it shows up that they took these classes, but the grades that they received in middle school do not count toward their high school GPA.

Same in WCPSS....although you can only take Language 1, and it's combined over two years in middle school (which is exactly how it was when i was in junior high back in the dark ages). At least at my kids' MS. I shouldn't speak for all WCPSS. And same for 8th graders who take CCM1 (which is the vast majority of 8th graders). They get HS credit for it but it doesn't count towards their high school GPA.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Milton View Post
The total diversity profile for the schools differs by 8% (based on UNSWR data). With the exception of the percentage of enrolled Black students, the profiles line up nicely, so it seems a stretch to say that there are "very few" minority students at PC from non-Asian demographic group. Nevertheless, I wholly agree that a diverse student body makes for a great environment for education.

(And I'm not defending PC out of any specific loyalty. My kids attend Green Hope.)

Here are the profiles:

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...7/student-body

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...2/student-body
It looks that way because of the groups that choose "white" even though they do not identify as white because that is the group that they are told fits them best.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Same in WCPSS....although you can only take Language 1, and it's combined over two years in middle school (which is exactly how it was when i was in junior high back in the dark ages). At least at my kids' MS. I shouldn't speak for all WCPSS. And same for 8th graders who take CCM1 (which is the vast majority of 8th graders). They get HS credit for it but it doesn't count towards their high school GPA.
I believe in magnet middle schools, you can take one language class per year. I know a couple of my daughter's friends were taking Spanish or French 3 in 9th grade.

For the people talking about AP/IB and dual enrollment for college credit. There is no one answer. It really depends on the college. For instance, we went to a session where four private universities were presenting, and all of them said that they do not take dual enrollment credits. Basically, they said that they can't "double dip". If you used the course for high school credit, then you can't use it for college credit. The exception being AP/IB, and that's dependent upon the exam score. And even then, most of the schools I've looked at won't let you test out of a class in your field of study. So if, for example, your child wants to go into a STEM field, chances are that even if they get a 5 on their AP Calculus exam, the college is still going to make them take their Calculus class. Because even though College Board swears that AP classes are the equivalent of college classes...the colleges don't believe it. So that 5 on Junior's Calculus exam can be used to replace some general credit, but not math.

I'm guessing that dual enrollment might be more useful when applying to a school in the UNC system. Otherwise, I'm not sure why anyone would do it.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
For the people talking about AP/IB and dual enrollment for college credit. There is no one answer. .
Yes, we're hearing the same things at colleges. Every one has different wants and needs. My DS did really well on his verbal SAT and has no need to worry about it going forward, except one of his top choices will not let you take the verbal from one sitting and the math from another and a lot of schools will. *sigh* And of course he's interested in a STEM career so who cares about the verbal anyway LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary