Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 2,786 times

Advertisements

and i only ask bc i cant tell?~!

i moved here from CT in 2012 after my daughter started college... she's since moved on is living in PA now after Grad school.

I'm wanting to move again (thinking abt TX or PA), i really have no ties here. i feel that the JOB opportunities are not what i'd expected. i work in social services & would like a job w a Co or State organization..

i hear abt/see all of the construction, building up etc & am just wondering if soo many ppl are still coming here, where are they all working? where are the jobs? other than RTP & construction/hospitality..

i hear from friends that Raleigh has become saturated; I've heard this about other transplant cities too though.. i enjoy my cute little rental house but that's about it.

oy vey!
just asking from a transplant perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 04:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanMe View Post

i moved here from CT in 2012 after my daughter started college... she's since moved on is living in PA now after Grad school.

I'm wanting to move again (thinking abt TX or PA), i really have no ties here. i feel that the JOB opportunities are not what i'd expected. i work in social services & would like a job w a Co or State organization..

i hear abt/see all of the construction, building up etc & am just wondering if soo many ppl are still coming here, where are they all working? where are the jobs? other than RTP & construction/hospitality..

i hear from friends that Raleigh has become saturated; I've heard this about other transplant cities too though.. i enjoy my cute little rental house but that's about it.

oy vey!

Your responses will be MUCH better in the Raleigh section

Old 07-27-2018, 04:19 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
As you mention one big employment center is Research Triangle Park, which houses a conglomeration of knowledge economy jobs is centered near the middle of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and the Triangle's largest suburb Cary. But similar knowledge based jobs are throughout the area. Those jobs pay well, and the people who are being employed in those jobs are typically moving from very expensive areas where housing costs (and especially property taxes) in the area seem inexpensive, though housing prices certainly don't seem inexpensive to NC natives. If you work in social services (as I'm sure you're already well acquainted with), the pay scale is not going to be the same as the IT/biotech/pharmaceutical jobs in the private sector that pay into the six figure range in the Research Triangle Park Raleigh area.

The advantage of the Raleigh area is that along with being the second largest NC city and second largest county (Wake), it is the capital city of NC, and many of the jobs in state government are located there, so if you have the desire and aptitude to move up in your position once you get your foot in the door, chances are your new opportunity would keep you in the area. However, housing costs are also some of the highest in the state, and have been rising rapidly, so it would be a bit of a struggle on a social worker's salary, particularly if you live alone. To be honest, the marketplace there seems to have set housing and rental prices at a level viewed as "affordable" for someone making well into the $100,000+ range, not a typical social worker's salary, which is often less than half that.

And if the area is "drying up", I'd be curious to see what a "booming" area looks like because the Raleigh area has been one of the fastest growing areas not only in NC, but the entire nation in recent years.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:05 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Don't think so. We've had quite a bit of rain lately. 10 day Forecast has T storms most days.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:23 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Don't think so. We've had quite a bit of rain lately. 10 day Forecast has T storms most days.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:

oy vey!

Social service work in NC is tough. Mental health is privatized, and companies pay very little. The corruption is real. You might want to research areas where you can find a job that you like.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:32 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:

oy vey!
IMHO if you are in social services it doesn't matter what the local economy is doing. Expand your job search and take the best job you can find.

I feel a bit like you...I'm finding myself somewhat ambivalent about Raleigh. I really like the city...there are many positives. However, I've been here 7 years and feel as if maybe I've been there, done that. My kids are both in college. I've decided that to rely on the city itself to guide my path is a mistake. I'm moving to the coast next month for a new job. I spend 50-60 hours per week focusing on work, so I think a rewarding and interesting job should be my priority. At my age, it's an adventure!

Old 07-29-2018, 08:39 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Truth. Raleigh was about a day away from becoming the California Death Valley of the East Coast but thankfully Mother Nature decided the USA didn't need another one. Thanks Mother Nature, you're the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary