Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 06:52 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times

Advertisements

Bizarre bathroom wallpaper, only one sink in the master bat, and a pretty ordinary looking kitchen. And... yes the listing is all caps and has a typo. All that being said - it has a first floor master suite (not common in anything condos and new construction,) and hardwoods throughout. We spent a few months looking in Raleigh and recently bought a house. It has the original en-suite first floor master, and a huge new 2nd floor master suite. We wanted a first floor master or at least a BR and full bath on ground floor, and wanted all hardwoods. Our purchase has hardwoods on entire first floor - we can live with that. We ended up in Lantern Square - part of the North Haven area. Great house... needed a basic kitchen redo... but really well built with lots of updates. More than we wanted to spend but hey... it's our permanent home and in a great location. We were renting while sussing out the area, and intended to wait until October to buy. Prices are climbing so fast and interest rates appear poised to rise. Opted to pay the $2500 termination fee and do it now - I'm glad we did. House hunting was like having a part time job. Good properties priced right - you had best be there the first day with a strong offer (all cash deal or over the asking price and with a healthy down payment and good credit.) We searched for months, and the places we liked the best (until this house - which we LOVE) all seemed to go under contract on their first day on market.

We came from a small city in upstate NY. Prices in Oakwood, Mordecai, Five Points et al were a real shock to us. Our Syracuse house will sell for about $150,00 when the deal is closed. Comparable house in similar condition in any of the above neighborhoods would be about $750,000. We didn't price Cary properties but I've heard that they have spiked as fast or more so than the rest of Raleigh. North of 540 and to the Southeast (Knightdale etc.) there is lots of house for the money.

Last edited by phaelon56; 07-29-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
I'm still going with overpriced. I'll try to remember to keep an eye on it and see what it sells for. Definitely not going to sell in a couple days like most correctly priced houses.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I mean I know it's Preston, but:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M52974-64187

Also, I feel like agents should at least be able proof read a listing for spelling mistakes.
you're interested in writing a market-value offer to make this your next home?

Old 07-29-2018, 07:20 PM

609 posts, read 506,036 times
I'm just curious how long it stays on the market and if the owners will "reduce" the price ... if it hasn't sold in a few days. I have seen lots of people "overprice" their homes recently in Morrisville, just to reduce it slightly and have it sold ... I'm not sure what the psychology of it is ...

Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 PM

715 posts, read 889,246 times
Must be missing something....are y’all stalking this for a particular reason...sorry for being naive but why is this listing in particular causing interest when I can call out many houses I feel are overpriced but the market ultimately determines pricing. How come there are no gas threads or wait till Soda goes up due to economic circumstances. y’all still drink soda and buy gas and someone will buy this house.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Must be missing something....are y’all stalking this for a particular reason...sorry for being naive but why is this listing in particular causing interest when I can call out many houses I feel are overpriced but the market ultimately determines pricing. How come there are no gas threads or wait till Soda goes up due to economic circumstances. y’all still drink soda and buy gas and someone will buy this house.
Sorry - next time I'll go with a pizza thread or a transplant driving thread.

Following real estate is interesting to me, and I happened to stumble on this house which I personally think is priced high. i was curious if others agree, or if I'm just out of touch with current pricing.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
This is the cheapest house in Preston Village right now (also the smallest, although it's not a small house).

If you want to live in Preston Village and it's in your budget, you're probably gonna give it a go.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:27 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sorry - next time I'll go with a pizza thread or a transplant driving thread.

Following real estate is interesting to me, and I happened to stumble on this house which I personally think is priced high. i was curious if others agree, or if I'm just out of touch with current pricing.
the reason that I responded the way that I did ...

If you just want to keep an eye on values, but have no intentions of moving, then what any house has as an ASKING price is completely immaterial. Wait until it closes. That will help you understand the actual market, and perhaps will be a data point for you years from now for what happens "When you price it high, but are ready to reduce".

Prices rise and fall over time - and even oftentimes within a year. If you absolutely positively have to get your kids in DDMS or GHHS this month - any house is worth one price to you. Ask the professionals again in 3 years, when you really are considering a move, and then the value should be very different.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
\
If you just want to keep an eye on values, but have no intentions of moving, then what any house has as an ASKING price is completely immaterial. Wait until it closes. That will help you understand the actual market, and perhaps will be a data point for you years from now for what happens "When you price it high, but are ready to reduce".
Of course. Alas, this is an internet message board, and I was looking for people's thoughts on the asking price.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I’ll play the game. I see houses all the time and usually don’t give it much thought, but looking up a listing, I saw this one nearby. I does seem to have decently nice finishes, but $411k for a 1755 sf house on a small lot (7ksf) in that location seems crazy to me. Maybe there is a mistake in the listing, but it’s new and several others on the same street are similar. That’s a higher price per sf than that Preston Village house with hardly any land to contribute to the cost. Maybe there is something I’m missing.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...hares_core_ldp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary