Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We looked at granite at home depot and got a high price. The designer finally quitely gave me a card from a granite company and suggested I call them and deal directly with the granite yard. So as we started talking she told me she just had her own kitchen and 4 bathrooms done and did not use home depot or lowes but found better prices and products by going directly to the yard and picking out the exact remnants she wanted. That says alot.
Mind sending me a dm with the contact info for this company? I'd appreciate it.

I've visited Natural Galleries on Brentwood in Raleigh, and have quotes from Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm planning to visit Design Surfaces on Front St. in Raleigh, Kitchen and Bath on Glenwood, and one other in that area, behind Carmax. I don't have my notes handy right now.

HD transposed the numbers and gave us a wrong quote, based on 26.7 sq ft instead of 62.7. Big difference! They are running a special with undermount sink included (said installation was included but turns out it isn't). Their Corian price was 3x the price of granite, installed. The granite I wanted is $39/sq. ft. during the promotion.

Lowe's installed price of same priced granite came out to be $400 higher. They charge more for old countertop tearout, and sink install.

I'm not comfortable with paying 100% up front. Natural galleries only wants 50% as a deposit. They're BBB members, and have an A+ rating.

Both big stores say their granite is permanently sealed, so no maintenance required. I don't know how true that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
I can't help with any questions about avantstone. I found a discount granite installer and couldn't be happier with the results!
Mind sharing the name of your company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
I paid $1500 for 30 Sq. ft. of uba tuba granite and a new undermount SS sink.

Granite ZNT
[SIZE=2]graniteznt@yahoo.com
[/SIZE]
(919)454-7492

[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
Uba tuba is on sale at $39/sq ft right now. I love the look of it. Have always been drawn to it, but I think it would be too dark for my small kitchen now.

A decorator question: Do you try to match your countertop to your cabinets, or contrast? I'm being told that high contrast is desirable, rather than a match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 12:39 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
we JUST (as in 4 days ago) had World Granite on St. Albans Drive in Raleigh install fabulous granite countertops for $42.50 sq ft. plus sink and demo of existing and of course tax. They did a fabulous job and I would highly recommend them. They also have lots of scrap pieces that you can select for smaller jobs (bathrooms, etc). great install. great people. very happy.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
we JUST (as in 4 days ago) had World Granite on St. Albans Drive in Raleigh install fabulous granite countertops for $42.50 sq ft. plus sink and demo of existing and of course tax. They did a fabulous job and I would highly recommend them. They also have lots of scrap pieces that you can select for smaller jobs (bathrooms, etc). great install. great people. very happy.
Thank you. I wonder how that tax stuff works. Home Depot doesn't charge sales tax, they said, because they do the "the whole job", not just sell the material. I'm finding that some charge sales tax and some don't.

Is your granite permanently sealed?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 14,873 times
Default Expensive(?) - Maintenance (?) I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Wow! I'm now glad I don't care for rock as a counter top! I had no idea those countertops were that expensive. I guess to each his own but the number of houses I've seen with those countertops installed these days also explains a lot of the mortgage problems.
Counter top selection should be based on budget (1st), desired look (2nd), and resale value (3rd).
Granite can be a best choice in each of these areas.
There is no maintenance for granite beyond normal cleaning/wiping. Exception: If You Use a strong chemical (bleach, ammonia) to clean granite, you wash off the sealer. So you simply spray sealer on and wipe it off with toweling - easier than washing a window for sure.

Some stone people recommend applying sealer yearly just to ensure that you don't get any coffee or spice stains on the granite - but if you do, they are easily removed with "strong cleaning solutions".

Most sealers also add that Like New shine to a granite surface.

If wiping your countertop is considered to be "maintenance", then KITCHENS are not for you. Convert the space and eat in restaurants.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4byojim View Post
If wiping your countertop is considered to be "maintenance", then KITCHENS are not for you. Convert the space and eat in restaurants.
Or you could choose to install a more appropriate material for food preparation than granite and have a solid surface countertop installed that is not permeable. Granite countertops are havens for bacteria and stain easily. How many restaurant kitchens has anyone seen with granite? Zero because local health departments do not allow them.

Mike

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 14,873 times
Default Granite for the home/ versus SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Or you could choose to install a more appropriate material for food preparation than granite and have a solid surface countertop installed that is not permeable. Granite countertops are havens for bacteria and stain easily. How many restaurant kitchens has anyone seen with granite? Zero because local health departments do not allow them.

Mike
Hey Mike,
I have no argument with restaurants NOT using granite - because Stainless Steel is easier to keep clean - but it dents and is MUCH more expensive. Some folks prefer the earthy image that granite provides versus the cold image of SS. Also, sealed granite is as sanitary and any kitchen surface normally found in the home - it is just classey, sexy and earthy. PS. I am NOT in the granite business.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Just out of pure curiosity, I looked up the ratings for this company on Angie's List (only members can see that information). It's a very mixed bag.

Then I googled 'granite transformations complaints' - boy, does that show up as a kettle of worms. And then 'granite transformations reviews.'

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I have found that Lowes price on granite SEEMS cheap until you find out that they charge extra for any edge and extra to cut out for the sink, etc., etc.

You are much better off going with a granite company. I've used Jason at The Polished Edge for years and have sent many clients to him that are always happy. 919-794-0093.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary