Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:06 PM

148 posts, read 171,143 times

Advertisements

I keep reading articles about the insane wait times at DMVs this summer, due at least in part to the REAL ID requirement. Almost all of these articles end with a DMV spokesperson saying something like, "if you want to avoid a long wait time, make an appointment." So that's exactly what I did, and I have a REAL ID appointment for 9:30AM one of the days in the last week of August at the Avent Ferry office (I made the appointment in May and that was the earliest available!). At first when reading these articles, I didn't care much because, after all, I have an appointment. But in the comments section I've started reading comments saying that the appointments don't matter - you'll still be waiting forever. So my questions:

1) Has anyone recently had a REAL ID appointment at one of the more popular area DMVs? If so, how was the wait time? If the general purpose (non-appointment) line was out the door, were you able to get inside for your appointment, or were you stuck with the rest of the cattle?

2) Even though my appointment is at 9:30AM, should I get there at (or well before) opening in order to avoid a wait?

Basically, I'm just curious how much of a priority those with appointments are given? I've had appointments for things like blood drives and flu shots where no priority was given - those with appointments were just thrown in to the first-come, first-serve queue. But I've also had appointments where the lines instead acted like those "fast pass" things at amusements parks where you get to skip to the front at your scheduled time. Which model does the (Avent Ferry) DMV follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 02:41 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
I'd like to hear how your appoint goes. I have to do that soon.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:17 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
the problem is, there will be a line out the door when you get there. You need to get your cojones in order and just walk to the front of the line and announce to the person giving numbers that you have an appointment. If you're not comfortable doing that you're going to wait. Now i have heard that DMV workers are walking the line making sure people have what they need, but if I had an appointment I still would not wait - I'd go right inside.

Once you're in and they know you have an appointment, you get the next available person. I've been at the DMV many times over the past year and have seen it happen time and again (and then someone will complain that you went right to the head of the line and the DMV personnel will explain to everyone why you jumped the line).

Old 08-14-2018, 04:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Long lines at Raleigh DMV's made the news here. You could always drive down to Shallotte

Old 08-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Long lines at Raleigh DMV's made the news here. You could always drive down to Shallotte
Well, that's what I was trying to avoid by making an appointment. There are three options:
1) willing to wait in line and want it now - go to local DMV unannounced and wait in a long line
2) willing to drive a distance and want it now - drive to Shallotte (wherever the heck that is)
3) unwilling to wait in line but don't mind waiting until later in the year to get it - make an appointment (per the DMV's recommendation)

I selected option #3, but now fearful that it won't matter and I really just am going to do a delayed #1. Of course, I'm going to Outer Banks next week - wonder how busy the Nag's Head DMV gets....

Old 08-14-2018, 05:47 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
My wife had an appointment at the Smithfield office recently and had a very small wait time for her RealID. If I recall, jsut a few minutes to let the person ahead of her finish up.

She chose Smithfield since they had a better schedule for availability.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:50 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,762 times
Appointment are great. Once you check in they call you up a few minutes later.

One caveat, you have to wait on the same long line as every else to check in. There is no special line for appointments.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
One caveat, you have to wait on the same long line as every else to check in. There is no special line for appointments.
Actually, I just talked to my wife, and it turns out that she very recently called to make an appointment for a REAL ID. The lady one the phone she talked to while making the appointment specifically told her to get to the DMV 15 minutes before her appointment and push and claw her way up front to check in to let them know that she's there for an appointment. Definitely told her NOT to wait in the initial line. This was advice more recently included in the appointment phone call than when I made the same call in the Spring.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEBeck88 View Post
2) willing to drive a distance and want it now - drive to Shallotte (wherever the heck that is)
Just kidding...you don't have to go far out of town to find an office without long lines. Shallotte is about a 35 or 40 minute drive from Wilmington...west. I live minutes from there now. I used to go to Smithfield when I needed to visit a divers license office.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:58 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Do you have to call to make an appointment or can it be scheduled online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary