Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 7,213 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to the area. Job is in Morrisville.

Budget of 250K for a home.

Highest priority is schools (MUST be good schools), followed by Family-friendly & safe area.

I feel like I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. Commute to job can be max 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
If you want stability in schools, private school. Buying a house for the schools is not a good idea in this area, as assignments can rapidly change (see the other thread going on currently).

Old 08-23-2018, 10:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
How big a home do you want? If we know that, we can tell you where to find what.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:42 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Maybe not stable, but the entire Wake County Public School system supposedly has no bad apples and is one of the area's better attributes.

It's not of the caliber of some Northeastern public schools, but it has quite a good reputation except for the re-assigning issue.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:38 AM

On the house - 4b/2b 2000sf

As far as schools - I’m confused about awake county schools, and also a little wary as I’ve never experienced a district that wasn’t just zoned to address. How often are kids/neighborhoods reassigned? Stability is a big thing to us and I don’t quite understand the wake county school thing.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:59 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
What are you looking for in a school? I think good schools can be very subjective.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:23 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonsoul87 View Post
On the house - 4b/2b 2000sf

As far as schools - I’m confused about awake county schools, and also a little wary as I’ve never experienced a district that wasn’t just zoned to address. How often are kids/neighborhoods reassigned? Stability is a big thing to us and I don’t quite understand the wake county school thing.
The Triangle is growing at an extremely rapid rate, especially Wake County. Lots of new construction and tons of people moving to the area. Some areas are more popular than others , which is where a lot of the building occurs, and transplants move to. This causes the need for new schools, and the need to "spread out" enrollment to other schools that may or may not be further away.

Historically being in the older, more established areas was a little safer as far as reassignment goes, but this year has been a bit of a unicorn in that there are many changes proposed even to more established areas.

If you're looking for complete stability, your best bet is private school or a town like Chapel Hill. But to be completely honest considering your budget I'm guessing those aren't options.

There are tons and tons of discussions on this forum regarding area schools - you can use the search function to find them.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
You can look at the state's accountabilty site here: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Assignments can change, but your whole neighborhood is likely to also change so it's not that disruptive to the kids. They'll mostly still be with their friends from the neighborhood. Doesn't always happen that way, but I believe that is the goal. I'm not a WCPSS expert.

Your budget is not high.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
What are you looking for in a school? I think good schools can be very subjective.
Good teachers & administration, high parental involvement, a solid education, but doesn’t need to be “the best” as far as state test scores. I care more about the actual quality of education than scores on a test.

And in a perfect world (I know this may not be possible), but we want a school with LESS technology in elementary school. For example right now my 1st grader is in a very high ranking school where we live, but I am unhappy that a large percentage of his math and reading during the day is on a computer or iPad, and that ALL. Work at home is computer based. I know this particular thing may be a pipe dream, so it’s not a must.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:51 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Honestly not having technology in school is going to mean a lower rated school....mainly because the PTAs in the higher rated school have been funding technology for years.

If I were you I would look in some of the older more established neighborhoods in Apex....however, as m378 said any place in western Wake is going to be ripe for reassignments as that area continues to boom. BUT as also pointed out, your kids friends would likely be moving with them. Still it can be upsetting and disconcerting. I just would say do not buy a house based solely on the school it is currently assigned to....but the good news as someone else posted, is more than likely the school you would be reassigned to would be acceptable to you as well.

We are going through a reassignment phase right now and time and again people are saying "you can't move me I bought this house so I could go to whatever school"...that's not WCPSS problem and they don't care. It's county schools....there are NO SCHOOL DISTRICTS. So buy a house you like close to your work where you take a look at all the schools nearby and think about how you would feel going to one of them.

If you want to live in Morrisville and can sacrifice some space I'd look at Breckenridge, but they've just been reassigned to a year round elementary and middle school (the elementary is being built right in their neighborhood). Great neighborhood with tons of kids and actively involved parents in the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary