Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 AM

545 posts, read 1,606,289 times

Advertisements

I want to join a particular gym that has a low monthly fee, and they require the monthly fee deduction from a checking acct (won't let me pay the year up front, can't use a CC). I don't want to give them access to my main account, so i was thinking of setting up a separate acct w/ a small balance but don't want to pay a big monthly fee. Any suggestions for a local bank?

I do plan on seeing if SECU will let me set up a second checking acct, but I don't want them to be able to get money from my main acct if for some reason the balance falls too low on the second account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
I want to join a particular gym that has a low monthly fee, and they require the monthly fee deduction from a checking acct (won't let me pay the year up front, can't use a CC). I don't want to give them access to my main account, so i was thinking of setting up a separate acct w/ a small balance but don't want to pay a big monthly fee. Any suggestions for a local bank?

I do plan on seeing if SECU will let me set up a second checking acct, but I don't want them to be able to get money from my main acct if for some reason the balance falls too low on the second account.
ACH is generally a safe way to pay. You know your checks have your account number and routing number on them, right?

That seems like a crazy amount of work just to pay a gym.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Last time I allowed automated deductions from a checking account (another gym) and tried to stop them, it took 6 months, and I did not get the money back. Don't want to deal with that again.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:15 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Coastal will but you have to make a certain amount of withdrawals a month to qualify.

I agree about the automatic deductions. I will only do it for things like utilities - it's too much work to stop it for things like gyms, cable companies that you might switch away from etc. Also did it for my orthodontist but that had a definite end point.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:36 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
Last time I allowed automated deductions from a checking account (another gym) and tried to stop them, it took 6 months, and I did not get the money back. Don't want to deal with that again.
Ah....that makes sense then.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 AM

806 posts, read 605,725 times
PNC will pay you to open an account with them.
https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-bank...red-offer.html

Old 08-26-2018, 11:47 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,546,803 times
Maybe PayPal will be of help?

This discussion might help:
https://money.stackexchange.com/ques...gym-membership

In other news:

Easy check fraud technique draws scrutiny - Technology & science - Security | NBC News

Old 08-26-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
PNC will pay you to open an account with them.
https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-bank...red-offer.html

I already have a checking acct w/ PNC. When I refinanced my mortgage to a home equity loan (low balance and they had a really good rate), part of the requirement was setting up the account and having the payments deducted. Don't want to sue that acct because that's where I have the money that used to go to escrow deposited and don't want to take a chance on losing that. I do see that they have a plain acct that has a $7 monthly fee that is waived w/ a $500 average monthly balance. That might work.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
I made over $2000 in June opening up bank accounts. Some minimums were only $1,500 to waive the monthly fees.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:35 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,869 times
First Citizens has a free checking but requires you to sign up for online banking and receive e-statements instead of paper ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary