Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:12 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
The Silver Star (and Silver Meteor and the Auto-Train, which also run through NC although not Raleigh) are frequently hung up in Florida. Also, trains are frequently hung up between Richmond and Rocky Mount. The Piedmonts, the northbound Carolinian, and the northbound Palmetto are immune to those trouble spots in terms of timekeeping at NC stations.

Similarly the Crescent that runs between NY and New Orleans via Greensboro and Charlotte is often hung up between Meridian, Miss and Atlanta... meaning that the northbound Crescent is often late when calling on NC stations.

I encourage anyone in the Triangle departing for a destination north of Raleigh to ride the Carolinian, not the Silver Star. Your chances of being delayed on the northbound Carolinian are much less. It used to be that an argument for the Silver Star was its traditional dining car, compared to snack and light food service on the Carolinian. But the dining car was pulled from the Silver Star some time ago.
I took the Crescent a few times when I was at Clemson and I don't recall it ever being seriously delayed. Sure it was often 20-30 minutes late, most often in the northbound direction like you mentioned, but nothing like the magnitude of delays you see on the Silver Star/Silver Meteor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Well I stand corrected - seems like it's gotten a lot worse in recent years

Average Delays:

Crescent:
NB
Atlanta - 1 hr 35 min late
New York - 2 hr 16 min late
SB
Atlanta - 45 min late
New Orleans - 2 hrs 13 min late

Old 04-08-2019, 03:12 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
If I recall correctly, the Silver Star does have more legroom in their long-distance coaches than the Northeast Regional equipment used by the Carolinian. That's a plus for any bigger folks. I'm not sure how the state-owned Piedmont equipment compares.

I dropped someone off at the old Raleigh station for a northbound Carolinian a few years back. It was a little late, but still running ahead of the Silver Star. They kept announcing "if your ticket is for train ##, the Silver Star, DO NOT GET ON THE NEXT TRAIN! IT IS NOT YOUR TRAIN!" That had to be frustrating....

Old 04-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
If I recall correctly, the Silver Star does have more legroom in their long-distance coaches than the Northeast Regional equipment used by the Carolinian. That's a plus for any bigger folks. I'm not sure how the state-owned Piedmont equipment compares.

I dropped someone off at the old Raleigh station for a northbound Carolinian a few years back. It was a little late, but still running ahead of the Silver Star. They kept announcing "if your ticket is for train ##, the Silver Star, DO NOT GET ON THE NEXT TRAIN! IT IS NOT YOUR TRAIN!" That had to be frustrating....
I rode the Piedmont yesterday both ways and there was definitely ample legroom. It was crowded though so you couldn't avoid sitting next to someone else.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:00 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
If I recall correctly, the Silver Star does have more legroom in their long-distance coaches than the Northeast Regional equipment used by the Carolinian. That's a plus for any bigger folks.
It's not that much of a difference. In the same length car shell, Amfleet I uses 72 seats and Amfleet II uses 60 (actually 59 because 1 seat is removed for wheelchair access). Seat width is identical.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:01 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
I feel like the 611 was one of the best trips ever! I'm glad I got experience it
when I did. Short of a miracle I don't ever see it running again. Last I heard it was
in Roanoke, VA? There is a RUMOR that it may make a couple of trips to Pennsylvania
this fall, but without the cars. We shall see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZGDCYdKD7s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Would be interested to hear what other good day trips people have done via train (besides Charlotte)

Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Someone mentioned tracking your train or something like that?
I use this a lot when I'm track side fanning. I have found that if
Amtrak is anywhere close, you won't be seeing the good trains for
a while...

https://asm.transitdocs.com/map

Old 04-09-2019, 03:39 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I feel like the 611 was one of the best trips ever! I'm glad I got experience it
when I did. Short of a miracle I don't ever see it running again. Last I heard it was
in Roanoke, VA? There is a RUMOR that it may make a couple of trips to Pennsylvania
this fall, but without the cars. We shall see?
It's not a rumor any more.

611 Visits Strasburg – A Reunion of Steam

Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 PM

259 posts, read 243,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I encourage anyone in the Triangle departing for a destination north of Raleigh to ride the Carolinian, not the Silver Star. Your chances of being delayed on the northbound Carolinian are much less. It used to be that an argument for the Silver Star was its traditional dining car, compared to snack and light food service on the Carolinian. But the dining car was pulled from the Silver Star some time ago.
Thank you so much for this valuable piece of info. I'm planning to go to NY soon, so this discussion is quite timely!

Sadly I couldn't rep you...

Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
Thank you so much for this valuable piece of info. I'm planning to go to NY soon, so this discussion is quite timely!

Sadly I couldn't rep you...
Yep! Definitely go with the Carolinian for a train trip to NY. If you want a slightly later option, you can go to Rocky Mount and take the Palmetto at 2:50 PM. Be careful though since some track work is cancelling some trips of the Palmetto this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary