Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM

20 posts, read 57,035 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Raleigh/Durham are or even Chapel Hill because I have heard it was nice.I work for Wholefoods so I need to be close to one but I read a lot of reviews and statistics and it seems like the Raleigh/Durham area aren't too safe. I also know that everyone is flocking to those areas making the cost of living skyrocket so all the apartments I saw were expensive unless you want to live next door to a crack house.

Cna anyone tell me whats really going on in the are or perhaps some suggestions on where to look. I don't have a car so I need to be close enough to walk or on a busline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
it seems like the Raleigh/Durham area aren't too safe.
There are "unsafe" parts in any city--Durham gets the worst rap for its east-of-downtown area, and in Raleigh it's the Southeast--but overall, crime is one "con" that you very rarely hear assosicated with this area. We have several Whole Foods in the area so you could be near any of several.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
The area right around all the Whole Foods here are pretty safe. Overall most areas here are safer compared to the avg. city.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 PM

20 posts, read 57,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There are "unsafe" parts in any city--Durham gets the worst rap for its east-of-downtown area, and in Raleigh it's the Southeast--but overall, crime is one "con" that you very rarely hear assosicated with this area. We have several Whole Foods in the area so you could be near any of several.
Thanks!
I know there are bad parts in every city but I've been searching for an apartment or house. My credit sucks and I'm trying to find something affordable near Wholefoods but when I read the apartment reviews for places in the city it's quite frightening.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 PM

32 posts, read 92,320 times
Most of Raleigh is safe, especially West Raleigh, most of North Raleigh, and most areas "inside the beltline". Raleigh is a great city. We go to Whole Paycheck alot (the one on Wade avenue)!..Durham is more of a mixed bag, but West Durham is fine, especially around Duke Univ...Forget apartment complexes, they wont let u in with bad credit.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
We pay around $700 for a great safe 1BR apt in North Raleigh, Northridge Crossings.

Some rents are high, but you can find a good unit at a reasonable price if you try.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
on a related note, we're looking at 2 apartments, one in raleigh and one in durham
in raleigh it's the Exchange at Brier Creek located at 9240 Bruckhaus Street.
in durham it's the Southpoint Village Apartments located 313-100 Village Circle Way in south durham (27713)

does anyone have any idea as to the safety or niceness of these areas, or even know anything about the apartments themselves? thanks a lot, it's really hard to judge this stuff from their webites ;-)

Old 05-21-2008, 07:19 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
I would think both Brier Creek and Southpoint areas are relatively crime-free, since they are in nicer areas.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,842 times
The Durham Whole Foods is across the street from Duke's East Campus. There are lots of rentals around there, mostly catering to students, though many tend to be rental houses meant for several people. There are some apartments not too far though. I can't speak to your credit issue, but it should be easy to find rental housing easily walkable from Whole Foods.

Just a few blocks away is Duke's Trinity Park neighborhood, which is one of the more expensive ones- so the area has that going for it. There was a semi-recent mugging in the Whole Foods parking lot, but it was at like 3 a.m. or something. That area is not particularly unsafe, one just needs to use common sense practices about being out in the middle of the night.

Many people like living near that part of town known as the 9th street district for its proximity to restaurants and downtown Durham (which has had an explosion of new restaurants, the farmers market etc.).

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 AM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Chapel Hill, and esp. the area around Whole Foods, is very safe. As another poster pointed out, no city is without issues though. Chapel Hill can be rather expensive, so if you look toward that I would recommend checking apartments in Carrboro. It's an easy commute to the Whole Foods, and on buslines. Plus the bus in Chapel Hill is free, and safer than in Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary