Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM

217 posts, read 554,203 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was looking at some houses in Garner and they looked really nice. I believe they were closer to Faquay. How is the area, I can't find much on it.
Thank you in advance -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Give me some street intersections and I can help you out. I live about 1 mile west of the Garner city limit. I live near the intersection of Ten Ten Rd and Highway 401. We sometimes shop and dine out in Garner, though more often we drive farther west to Cary.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:54 PM

I am moving down to NC in a couple of months and I am visiting in a few weeks to check out different towns. I was looking on line at some houses, so I don't have an exact location yet. I just wanted some info about the area ex. is it safe? Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Garner is a blue collar area which is now growing.

Not the worst, but far from the best in the area.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times
Clayton is 10 minutes away. Its in Johnston County so the taxes are less and IMHO, the houses are nicer/cheaper. Some sections of Garner is a bit shady, but overall its a nice city.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 PM

166 posts, read 664,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Hello,
I was looking at some houses in Garner and they looked really nice. I believe they were closer to Faquay. How is the area, I can't find much on it.
Thank you in advance -

If they are closer to Fuquay, like down in the Ten-ten/401 area, it is generally a decent area, with a few places to avoid. There are some very nice houses being built, and a new elementary school to open in the next year or so off of Banks Rd. This area really isn't "Garner" though. It is "McCullers" or something like that, much different than the city limits of Garner, it is much more rural.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 34,690 times
We live near Old Stage/Ten Ten area and are "considered" Raleigh except no city taxes. It is very rural, but several developments are being built. There is a new shopping center on the Johnston Co. side of Garner that is pretty nice. There is also a new SC called Kings Grant at Ten Ten and 401. You can get a decent sized home for the money - I've noticed several of the new developments on the Wake County side out here are between $280k +/- to up to whatever you may want to spend (Banks Rd new homes for example, SAY they start at $400k, but they're more expensive). You can get an older existing home that is smaller for less money.

This area is not too heavy on amenities, so get used to driving to pretty much everything. The closest chain bookstore is in Cary - Barnes and Noble was supposed to come to White Oak S/C, but pulled out. I guess there weren't enough high end readers for them. I've been begging Town of Garner to try to bring in at least one large bookstore! HomeGoods left a few years ago. I read somewhere that the ratio of blue collar to professional workers was too high for the area (not sure if that's true).

If you like peace and quiet, along with land - you'll probably like the area. Because we like to live closer to amenities, we are considering moving closer to the city, towards Cary or N. Raleigh.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Another question...Are there a lot of amenities near Fuquay, Clayton and Holly springs? I am looking at houses in the 200k range so I thought these areas would be nice.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Garner is a blue collar area which is now growing.

Not the worst, but far from the best in the area.
Lots of locals still in the area.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Thanks for the info. Another question...Are there a lot of amenities near Fuquay, Clayton and Holly springs? I am looking at houses in the 200k range so I thought these areas would be nice.
You won't find any high end stores or restaurants, but there are plenty of fast food joints, discount retailers, etc. There is a nice big shopping area over at the eastern Garner/west Clayton border at I-40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary