Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 03:29 PM

75 posts, read 64,805 times

Advertisements

My 18 year old son recently got his drivers license. Nationwide, our home and auto insurer, says he will be/can be added to our policy on February 26, but don’t know what the rate will be.

Just wondering regarding your experiences in insuring teen drivers - pros and cons of a separate policy or adding to ours. We will likely require home to pay all or a substantial amount of the additional cost. He will be primarily driving a 2011 sedan that we currently own. Thanks for your input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I think it’s cheaper to add him to yours. Ours was $700 extra for six months’ coverage, I believe

Old 01-28-2019, 03:51 PM

197 posts, read 208,229 times
Default past threads

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...insurance.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...insurance.html

Old 01-28-2019, 05:11 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
If I remember correctly it was cheaper to add our twins to our policy.

There will be pain, if you have an umbrella that will go up too. But NC rates drivers on experience and after 3 years the rate goes down ... in fact it will go down each year for those first 3 years.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
I can only speak to my policy (Farm Bureau)

They added him to my policy, and (I'm going from memory here) they said that it would be cheaper to have him on my policy. They also assigned him to the cheapest car on the policy to keep the premium low.

With respect to the pricing, it was a 3 year run out where the price went down every year and on year 3 I was paying what I had been paying an amount comparable to what I was paying before.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I can only speak to my policy (Farm Bureau)

They added him to my policy, and (I'm going from memory here) they said that it would be cheaper to have him on my policy. They also assigned him to the cheapest car on the policy to keep the premium low.

With respect to the pricing, it was a 3 year run out where the price went down every year and on year 3 I was paying what I had been paying an amount comparable to what I was paying before.
Same here.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I was given the advice to get insurance for a second car with a different agent than I currently have, and then just add my son as the secondary driver. Does that make sense to anyone? Is there some benefit to using different insurance people?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Just lurking and wanted to share some info. My co-worker told me that she added her son to their policy and when he was in an accident, the other insurance company tried to sue the parents (owner of the car) for more money. She recommended for us to put our kid on her own policy. Still not sure how that works. We added her to our policy because we needed her insured stat and it was the easiest. We'll be paying our first premium in a couple of days to the tune of an extra four hundred dollars per month on top of our current auto insurance. We live in fabulous Las Vegas were the rates are probably insane compared to Raleigh.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Just lurking and wanted to share some info. My co-worker told me that she added her son to their policy and when he was in an accident, the other insurance company tried to sue the parents (owner of the car) for more money. She recommended for us to put our kid on her own policy. Still not sure how that works. We added her to our policy because we needed her insured stat and it was the easiest. We'll be paying our first premium in a couple of days to the tune of an extra four hundred dollars per month on top of our current auto insurance. We live in fabulous Las Vegas were the rates are probably insane compared to Raleigh.
This is nonsensical advice and is a good reason not to take advice from someone who is not a licensed agent. The owner of the car ALWAYS gets brought into a lawsuit. Yes, you could title the car in the child's name as well, but that has its own issues. I had a friend whose parents titled the car in her name, she ended up selling it!!

Second, if there is an umbrella policy, that covers anyone in the household. The underlying policy limits required for an auto policy in most states is 250/500 ....the temptation would be to insured the child under their own policy for minimal limits ... but then there's a gap between policies. ALL of this can be handled by a good agent, not your random co-worker, if you want to go the route of putting the child on their own policy, but it does not provide an automatic escape clause for the parents. It is not that simple.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I'd heard this once before, from friends who are affluent. They were advised to use a separate policy to protect family assets, by an insurance agent.

My sons girlfriend had her own policy from the beginning and paid a rate similar to what we paid by adding our sons to our policy. She did it because her parents made her assume financial responsibility for the car right away, not for any legal advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary