Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:22 PM
NDS NDS started this thread

58 posts, read 65,358 times

Advertisements

Google Fiber **finally** available at my home. However, seems like I've seen some commentary lately either this forum or NextDoor that Google Fiber in RTP not that great (reliability-wise). Anyone turned on their service last 6m or so, have feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:09 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
I’ve had it since almost the beginning and it’s great. Couple outages, nothing more than anyone else. Main difference being each time I automatically got a credit and apology email without having to call anyone.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:53 AM

610 posts, read 746,179 times
Pretty happy with Google Fiber. Few outages and the customer service seems OK. Beats the heck out of Spectrum.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:00 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,097 times
Do you have att fiber available? Ive had it for over three years and its been out for 15 minutes total. If your choice is Spectrum or Google fiber then I would take fiber all day long. Even if you had a sporadic outage.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...er-review.html

Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times
We've had GF for 6+ months. I'd go postal if I had to switch to another internet provider. (no experience with AT&T).

I'm less happy with Google Fiber TV, and the longer we have it, the more inclined I get to go back to DirectTV. If only we could clear those hundreds of hours of stuff we've recorded for future viewing. . .

We don't have Google Phone (we use Ooma). Many of our neighbors switched to it and it has been VERY problematic. A surprising number gave up and went back to Spectrum for everything because of Google Phone (and I agree with them - it's seriously BAD). Note that Most of my neighbors are seniors who either don't want to hassle with this stuff or are not comfortable with technology. I put in Ooma for a few and they all kept GF.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:39 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
I will likely never switch from Spectrum unless something drastic happens. Over 3 years and I can't remember ever having an outage. Been rock solid - use it both at home and at work. Most of the internet connectivity issues people have are not in any way related to the service provider, but the network infrastructure in their house (WiFi). That's not the service providers fault.

If I did sign up for Google Fiber I would take the time and read the fine print very carefully. Google is in the business of collecting data - not providing internet access.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:43 AM

18,053 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Spectrum had an 8 hr outage in my area a couple days ago. They don't update outage maps so you end up having to call or tweet at them to find out anything.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Wish we had an option out here in WF but alas it is only Spectrum at this time. Frankly, the internet options were so limited compared to where we left in MA that I considered it almost a deal breaker on our move. MA has been largely gigabit internet for years now; I WFH on a VPN moving large sets of data all day long for work.

Ironically, there are 4 guys at our corner who all WFH and everyday around 1245-1Pm all our internet drops. Spectrum has told us all individually that it is our own setups and for more irony, we all work in IT (including one Network Admin) so we aren't your "Average Joes" when it comes to home network setups.

They have finally admitted it may be a node issue on the street (geeeeeee ya think?!?!)

Apparently Ting Fiber is now coming to WF, so I may give that a shot (I know nothing about it). Apparently the mayor of WF turned google away a couple of years back before we got here.

Before the issues of the last month or so, I can't say I was unhappy with our Spectrum service even with 54 devices connected

Old 02-07-2019, 08:36 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I will likely never switch from Spectrum unless something drastic happens. Over 3 years and I can't remember ever having an outage. Been rock solid - use it both at home and at work. Most of the internet connectivity issues people have are not in any way related to the service provider, but the network infrastructure in their house (WiFi). That's not the service providers fault.
I can assure you that our spectrum outages were not our WiFi. Our neighbors lost service at the same times. Repeatedly. However, it wasn't the Spectrum service I hated; it is the always incompetent, sometimes rude customer service agents. Totally unacceptable. Their rate hikes didn't help.

Quote:
f I did sign up for Google Fiber I would take the time and read the fine print very carefully. Google is in the business of collecting data - not providing internet access.
I honestly don't give a damn about them collecting data. My view is that it personalizes my experience. Anywho, you're providing data ALL the time: Google searches, Amazon purchases, federal census, insurance companies, medical visits, IRS, etc etc etc. Many don't provide personal identification data or sell the data, but they are collecting nonetheless. And so does Spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary