Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,323 times

Advertisements

Well we knew it was comming sooner or later as we start to change into the states people are leaving. Good by cheap living,,,, Fresh in from wral.....Proposal Would Give Auto Insurers Rate Control :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Well the good thing is that all those NASCAR wannabes will be more open to using their turn signals.....at least we can hope

Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
Seems like it will create more of a free market for insurers. I'm all for it. There might be an initial bump in rates, but over time consumers should win as there will always be a company trying to provide a better and more affordable insurance package than the next company.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Well the good thing is that all those NASCAR wannabes will be more open to using their turn signals.....at least we can hope
This would be my hope, but we have high insurance rates here in Texas and people still do that.

Well, nice to know ya, cheap NC auto insurance. You were fun for awhile; sorry to see you go.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
OK, I'll bite. How does this have anything to do with people relocating here from somewhere else? Do we have more voting power to elect the people involved in government?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Seems like it will create more of a free market for insurers. I'm all for it. There might be an initial bump in rates, but over time consumers should win as there will always be a company trying to provide a better and more affordable insurance package than the next company.
Agree 100%. If it's too much, they'll wind up losing money in the long run. If you're a good driver this shoudln't affect you too much, because good drivers can easily switch companies and shop for the best rate. I have a feeling this will affect bad drivers more which is the way it should be.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Jim Long, a great insurance commissioner, is retiring.

Insurers are now getting ready to screw us when he leaves.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
OK, I'll bite. How does this have anything to do with people relocating here from somewhere else? Do we have more voting power to elect the people involved in government?
More people in more cars equal more accidents. It's not that complicated.

If what saturnfan says comes to pass, insurers will be having a field day in NC. Low auto rates are one thing I miss about over there....well, apparently not anymore.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
I guess Auto Insurance just got in line behind Milk, Butter, Bread, Eggs, and auto fuels! Its called inflation.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
If it's too much, they'll wind up losing money in the long run.
Could you explain this logic to me, because I'm not getting it. Maybe I'm just not awake yet, but to me it seems like they'll make more money, because auto insurance is not an elastic commodity. We have no choice but to insure our vehicles if we want to use them. The only choice we have is between companies, and if they all raise rates by the same percentage, we will still be paying more, even if we go with the company with the lowest rate (which is what I think most people do anyway).

If you're selling something that people are required by law to buy, you can pretty much charge as much as you want in a free market, as long as it is in line with competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
If you're a good driver this shoudln't affect you too much, because good drivers can easily switch companies and shop for the best rate. I have a feeling this will affect bad drivers more which is the way it should be.
This is probably true. But I think we will all end up seeing some amount of increase initially, at least from what we are currently paying.

Personally, my insurance here is half of what it was in Miami, and it has actually gone down (albeit by only a few dollars at a time) every six months since I got my policy here. I have always had a "safe driver" designation, and this is something I never experienced before moving to NC.

jfre81 is right about more people = more accidents - especially when infrastructure isn't keeping up with the number of cars on the road. Auto ins. rates in Miami jumped exponentially over the years as the population rose. It's just a numbers thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary