Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 AM

141 posts, read 141,138 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all. I'm originally from the Raleigh area but I moved North and I've been there for quite some time. However, my wife was offered a job in Durham and we are moving back to the Triangle (which I am glad for, couldn't take the cold anymore).

However, it seems that the area has exploded in popularity since I've lived there. Not to mention I'm not super familiar with Durham since I was living in the Raleigh area and seldom went over that way. A little bit about my wife and I, we are in our mid 30's, and no children (and no plans to have them). We are looking for the following:

- We have a budget of up to $450k (wouldn't mind things well under that of course)
- The houses don't have to be massive, 1800 square feet would be plenty for us

- Within 15 minutes of downtown Durham
- Close to walking areas would be good since we have a dog

- Safe
- Bonus: no HOA if possible

We looked at some areas in South Durham while we were in town (including one similar to my screen name lol). They looked really nice but there was definitely some sketch off of Fayetteville Road at night (gunshots). That kinda threw us off as we're looking to get away from that (where we live now there are gunshots and things like that too and we are tired of it).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 07:52 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Does the house have to be new, or will a resale float your boat?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Parkwood?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM

141 posts, read 141,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does the house have to be new, or will a resale float your boat?

Nope, no new house needed!

Prices are way different than when I was living down here so my range is kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Parkwood?

I haven't gone south of 40 yet in my search, how is the Parkwood area?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Nope, no new house needed!

Prices are way different than when I was living down here so my range is kinda weird.

I haven't gone south of 40 yet in my search, how is the Parkwood area?

People like it housing stock is older but you get some yard

Getting to downtown on 147 no big deal

Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 PM

20 posts, read 21,304 times
I asked a similar question about a year ago. Ended up in a 2000 sqft house near the School of Science and Math. I like that it's walkable to restaurants on Ninth St, and it's about 5 min drive/15 min bike ride to downtown Durham. I don't have a dog, but several of my neighbors do. Have not had any safety concerns.

I also looked at a bunch of places in the Old Five Points area (along Elizabeth St) and just south of 147, which are in your budget, but felt the construction on those flips/teardown-rebuilds was not great.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,427 times
I don't know the name of the neighborhood, but it's around the Cornwallis Road park (with park entrance on Wade, not Cornwallis btw). I'd say the homes are from the 60's thru 80's construction. Nice size lots with trees. I've never been in any home there, but the park is nice and it's close to Duke/downtown.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Hey y'all. I'm originally from the Raleigh area but I moved North and I've been there for quite some time. However, my wife was offered a job in Durham and we are moving back to the Triangle (which I am glad for, couldn't take the cold anymore).

However, it seems that the area has exploded in popularity since I've lived there. Not to mention I'm not super familiar with Durham since I was living in the Raleigh area and seldom went over that way. A little bit about my wife and I, we are in our mid 30's, and no children (and no plans to have them). We are looking for the following:

- We have a budget of up to $450k (wouldn't mind things well under that of course)
- The houses don't have to be massive, 1800 square feet would be plenty for us

- Within 15 minutes of downtown Durham
- Close to walking areas would be good since we have a dog

- Safe
- Bonus: no HOA if possible

We looked at some areas in South Durham while we were in town (including one similar to my screen name lol). They looked really nice but there was definitely some sketch off of Fayetteville Road at night (gunshots). That kinda threw us off as we're looking to get away from that (where we live now there are gunshots and things like that too and we are tired of it).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Take the under-score in your username out and/or replace "lake" with "croft"......you'll have everything you want and you can get it for $100k less than your stated budget.

Just know that when a house in Woodcroft/Woodlake or Hope Valley Farms comes on the market on a Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.....it will most likely be under contract by Sunday evening.

Piney Woods park is right between Woodlake and Woodcroft and has a HUGE dog-park.

American Village is closer to Duke/Downtown but a little further from "the rest" of the Triangle. Also a red-hot neighborhood that sells quick. A little pricier but still very doable in your $450k budget if you are ok with doing some cosmetic updates.

If you're into/ok with older homes (20s-40s) and want to be in a
walkable" area right next do downtown....your max budget could get you into Watts-Hillendale (of these neighborhoods; it's the only one with no HOA at all; though the rest of them have fairly chill HOAs)

EDIT...just saw the very last paragraph in your post haha. Given that experience; look more into Woodcroft vs Woodlake.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 03-25-2019 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 12:43 PM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
Woodcroft has an HOA.

I'd suggest looking at Parkwood, Hope Valley area, and the area around Durham Academy off Pickett Rd. near Garrett Rd.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:35 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Maybe look around the areas between University Drive and MLK, between say Garrett Road on the west side and I'm not sure what on the east. Maybe Fayetteville Road. We're not quite south Durham, not as trendy, but very quickly being discovered. We could use a sidewalk on Old Chapel Hill Road - it's not going to happen - but other than that it's pretty walkable with new eateries opening all the time. You would be able to get downtown in 15 min except for the construction going on now until the fall on University.

Lots of homes without HOAs. My immediate neighborhood does have one but it's not stringent at all. Tons of dogs around and a really good doggie daycare here (Pet Wagon). Houses probably a bit smaller than you mentioned but also much lower in price, though climbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary