Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 03:11 PM

505 posts, read 584,345 times

Advertisements

Hi CD,

I've been researching crime stats about Raleigh on Sperling's Reviews, Neighborhood Scout, Area Vibes and Crimemapping.com. They all corroborate disappointing figures and are almost equivalent to Las Vegas, where I currently reside and am concerned about my safety.

How bad is it? Where might lower crime pockets be? Suburbs? How responsive is the police force? Please don't feed me the line, "There's bad crime like that everywhere!" No, there is not, as I was just in Hawthorne Woods and Naperville IL, where I felt extremely safe and researched little crime, but disgusted with the cost of living.

If anyone doesn't want to get blasted on this forum for speaking the honest truth, please send me a PM. Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 03:37 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Raleigh is not dangerous at all. I have friends who live in areas that are considered somewhat dangerous but I still feel comfortable walking/biking at night (granted I’m a guy, but it’s really not that bad).

Mind sharing some of the stats you are seeing?

Old 04-21-2019, 03:42 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
Oh, bless your heart. If you don’t choose to live in a ultra low income neighborhood, transact drug deals in parking decks at 3 a.m., or heaven forbid leave your car door unlocked with electronics in plain view, I think you’d be OK in most parts of Raleigh. If you have extreme anxiety, build a bunker where you are, or move to farm or a suburb were everyone self medicates to an early demise...

Old 04-21-2019, 03:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
Raleigh keeps growing in just about everything.
actual growth, percentage growth, etc.
the population will exceed Charlotte's soon.
(well, Wake country vs. Mecklenburg County)

how bad is it?
depends upon your measuring stick.
if only crimes within the Raleigh city limits count,
2017 is higher than 2016 . considering the Raleigh "area"
(the hated Raleigh-Durham appellation), then Naperville is
in Chicago-Land and would include those stats.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:52 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
Aren’t Naperville and Hawthorne Woods suburbs? Maybe it might be more equivalent and reassuring for you to compare Wake Forest and Cary.

Most of the crime that I’m aware of is petty stuff like unlocked cars being broken into and a few home break ins.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Mind sharing some of the stats you are seeing?
Under the cons lists crime:
Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

When I compared Raleigh to Las Vegas, there's only a 1 point difference.

Last edited by Yac; 04-24-2019 at 02:01 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Aren’t Naperville and Hawthorne Woods suburbs? Maybe it might be more equivalent and reassuring for you to compare Wake Forest and Cary.

Most of the crime that I’m aware of is petty stuff like unlocked cars being broken into and a few home break ins.
Yes, they are suburbs. I will search those suburbs you mentioned, as I don't know any. Raleigh comes up higher property crime than Vegas, but Vegas wins for a smidgen more violent crimes. From personal experience and living in 5 other states, Vegas has been the worst, so I know those rates are accurate!!

Old 04-21-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Wake Forrest is dark purple, indicating heavy crime:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 04-24-2019 at 02:08 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 04:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
Sounds like Illinois would be a better place for you to live then.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Sounds like Illinois would be a better place for you to live then.
I'd pick IL, but taxes are outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary