Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 05:36 PM

12 posts, read 14,232 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking to buy in Durham and I've liked the townhomes in Dunbarton in Hope Valley area. But digging into it, they seem to have a very active board and many committees. I'm getting an impression that it may be a situation where the association is overly involved. I also have a young son who is biracial and I see in some of the language about safety and rules possible undertones of less tolerant views (I admittedly have a heightened sensitivity in this area) I'm wondering if anyone has experience living in the community and their impressions with these issues, as well as general experience in the neighborhood.

I appreciate any feedback,
Alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 05:43 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,542,922 times
  • Find a coffee place in the 'hood and maybe someone will be signed on to NextDoor?
  • Stop by a house of worship and ask to speak to the church secretary...they know lots of stuff.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:50 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,946 times
It's not a concern in Durham

Old 04-23-2019, 08:50 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
That's an awesome location. I also don't anticipate your concerns for your son's acceptance to be worrisome. Ask your real estate agent to check to make sure the unit you want to buy isn't in a flood zone.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
  • Find a coffee place in the 'hood and maybe someone will be signed on to NextDoor?
  • Stop by a house of worship and ask to speak to the church secretary...they know lots of stuff.
Lol. Great investigative suggestions. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 AM

The location is definitely a big part of my interest. Appreciate your advice on the flood plain issue. That never would have occurred to me.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I know generally in Durham I haven't encountered many issues generally. Curious about this neighborhood in particular.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:09 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphilly View Post
Hello, I'm looking to buy in Durham and I've liked the townhomes in Dunbarton in Hope Valley area. But digging into it, they seem to have a very active board and many committees. I'm getting an impression that it may be a situation where the association is overly involved. I also have a young son who is biracial and I see in some of the language about safety and rules possible undertones of less tolerant views (I admittedly have a heightened sensitivity in this area) I'm wondering if anyone has experience living in the community and their impressions with these issues, as well as general experience in the neighborhood.

I appreciate any feedback,
Alice
Demographics maybe? Could it be because those areas skew a little older? I remember when I did my research about the areas I liked in Durham (I was mostly looking at West End, Lyons Park, Lakewood-Tuscaloosa areas so Dunbarton is one of the adjacent neighborhoods)... Dunbarton's median age was something like 50, plus it wasn't as diverse as other nearby neighborhoods. But, if you look at the recently sold properties, there are lot which makes me think that the demographics might be changing in those areas.

I have no experience with bringing up a biracial child, and possibly living in constant fear that something could happen to my child b/c of the color of his skin... so you probably see things differently and are cautious about things that never cross my mind. But, my two cents... the area may change quicker than you think.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,206,328 times
I'd suggest driving through there, you could expect to see someone out and around, and stop and chat with them about demographics and the "overbearing HOA" possibility

Old 04-25-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Demographics maybe? Could it be because those areas skew a little older? I remember when I did my research about the areas I liked in Durham (I was mostly looking at West End, Lyons Park, Lakewood-Tuscaloosa areas so Dunbarton is one of the adjacent neighborhoods)... Dunbarton's median age was something like 50, plus it wasn't as diverse as other nearby neighborhoods. But, if you look at the recently sold properties, there are lot which makes me think that the demographics might be changing in those areas.

I have no experience with bringing up a biracial child, and possibly living in constant fear that something could happen to my child b/c of the color of his skin... so you probably see things differently and are cautious about things that never cross my mind. But, my two cents... the area may change quicker than you think.
Thank you. I think the age demographic could certainly be part of it. I've also seen there's been a lot of turnover in the community lately. If you happen to remember, do you know where you found the demo data for the neighborhood specifically? I tried city-data and it didn't seem to have it. Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: