Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,964 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be moving to the RTP area at the end of the summer and I am starting to navigate the school in the area. I have a son who is athletic and an average student. Are there any helpful sites to help understand the schools and their reputations? Are the private schools that much better than the public schools? What are some things that I should be looking for?

Thanks
Christy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 02:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
Generally I’ve heard that middle school is just miserable across the board. Do you have a sense of where you’ll be working and what your budget is? That will make it easier to make recommendations.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,964 times
Thank you. My husband will be working in RTP. I will find a job once we get settled. We have been looking around Cary but I am open to other areas. We are into golf and my son is a swimmer so maybe around a golf community?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
One thing you are going to run into is that school assignments have already gone out for next year. So many schools are full (and capped). Some of the calendars start the school year pretty early (Year Round and modified calendar traditional). It's gonna be tough moving here in late summer as a result. You very well could just end up where you end up, at some overflow school. Of course if you don't like your school assignment, just wait a year, cause it may well change. Sigh.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
There's exactly one middle school that's capped, Mills Park in western Cary. There is a new middle school opening up in that area this summer (it's a year round school), with a wonderful principal who used to lead Davis Drive Middle. It's called Alston Ridge Middle School.

Since your husband is gong to be working at RTP, you'll probably want to look at those schools, along with Apex Middle and Apex Friendship Middle (also brand new, just finishing up its first year).

I suggest contacting the PTA at any school you are interested in and getting a feel for the school that way, and scheduling a tour.

School for traditional calendar starts at the end of August.

Here's a helpful link:
https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33753

And yeah, middle school hasn't changed much. It kinda sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary